• Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Teaching American Intonation

Hi,

I have attached a ppt on American Intonation. This can be used by language teachers to teach American Intonation. I would request the experts to check it out and comment and suggest amendments.

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

konungursvia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Teaching American Intonation

Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    Hi,

I have attached a ppt on American Intonation. This can be used by language teachers to teach American Intonation. I would request the experts to check it out and comment and suggest amendments.

Thanks
    Hmm. A good effort. But I think your material has over-done the vernacular. /sko/ for instance is not how we say "let's go." It may be what LA gang members say after a drive-by shooting, but in American business English, no.

I think the pronunciation of individual phonemes is the most important part, rather than simply intonation alone. Both are necessary.

The descending staircase of intonation is not something I see as accurate, except that is how we do lists, for example, while ordering a pizza. Sentences, however, follow an olympic podium type order, 2 1 3, if you follow, but our intonation overall is very very flat.

I think a course in American phonetics, including the actual phonemes we use, will make your students cognisant of what to listen for, and will help them improve their own accent. If you start with intonation, which is starting with the "fine tuning," then what will they think of the "coarse tuning?" They might not become aware of it.

Hope this helps a bit.

anupumh is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Teaching American Intonation

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    Hmm. A good effort. But I think your material has over-done the vernacular. /sko/ for instance is not how we say "let's go." It may be what LA gang members say after a drive-by shooting, but in American business English, no.

I think the pronunciation of individual phonemes is the most important part, rather than simply intonation alone. Both are necessary.

The descending staircase of intonation is not something I see as accurate, except that is how we do lists, for example, while ordering a pizza. Sentences, however, follow an olympic podium type order, 2 1 3, if you follow, but our intonation overall is very very flat.

I think a course in American phonetics, including the actual phonemes we use, will make your students cognisant of what to listen for, and will help them improve their own accent. If you start with intonation, which is starting with the "fine tuning," then what will they think of the "coarse tuning?" They might not become aware of it.

Hope this helps a bit.
    Thanks for your comments...
    Though the size of attachments is a bottleneck, still I ll post more content and will expect similar feedbacks