Daruma is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "home page" and "website"

Hello.

Sony Japan | ƒ\ƒj[ƒOƒ‹[ƒv ƒ|[ƒ^ƒ‹ƒTƒCƒg
    Is this the link to Sony's "home page" or the one to Sony's "website"?

home page
    the main page of a website, often where a person or an organization gives information about themselves or their business and where there are links to other parts of the website

website
    a place on the Internet where information is available about a particular subject, organization, etc.

Thank you.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "home page" and "website"

A link to a website will generally lead you to the home page, the first page on the site, unless you have asked for a specific part of the site. So your link [so far as I can judge] is the home page.

konungursvia is online now Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

However, having a site myself with hundreds of pages, we see from our statistical counter that few people enter through what we thought of as the home page originally. Sony has a different home page for every country, for consumers, for professionals, for investors, etc. So I'd just use web site.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daruma View Post
    Hello.

Sony Japan | \j[O[v |[^TCg
    Is this the link to Sony's "home page" or the one to Sony's "website"?

home page
    the main page of a website, often where a person or an organization gives information about themselves or their business and where there are links to other parts of the website

website
    a place on the Internet where information is available about a particular subject, organization, etc.

Thank you.
    A homepage is part of a website, so it could be a link to Sony's website or a link to Sony's homepage. However, as I can't read Japanese, I can't say with absolute certainty that this particular page on this website is Sony's homepage. I trust that it is, however, based on your question.

Daruma is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, everyone. However, I still don't get what a home page and a website are. Could you show me some examples?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, everyone. However, I still don't get what a home page and a website are. Could you show me some examples?
    A homepage is like the front door or the front of a building. A website is the front door and everything inside the building. Does that comparison help clarify things?

If you stop, and go into the building, you have "clicked on the building". If you like the building, and you want to return, you can save it in the favorites section of your mind or memory.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the homepage: English Language (ESL) Learning Online - UsingEnglish.com. As soon as you start clicking, you have entered the website. The website is the homepage, the front door that is, and all the content that you click on and view is the entire website. The homepage is part of the website.

deiareid is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Since I worked as a webdesigner in the past, I can tell you that:

homepage: is the first page you "land" on when you visit an internet address, it is the "main entrance" and usually works as the gate to the rest of the internet address you are visiting. It is usually named "index.html" or "home.html" or something similar. Homepage is 1 page.

website: it is the whole set of pages, including the homepage, which forms all the content available on that internet address. Website is a set of pages together where the homepage is the FIRST one you are directed to when you type the internet address.

Let me know if it is still unclear.