• English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Omission of initial article or not?

Dear teachers,
    If I wish to have "The shaping of Nathaniel Hawthorne’s paradoxical mentality" as a subheading in my paper, do I have to omit the initial article "The" or can I omit this "The"or is it that either omitting it or keeping it will do? And how about the intial article in this subheading "The Analysis of Three Major Characters in The Scarlet Letter "? Will the subheading sound more idiomatic if "The Analysis" is changed to "An Analysis" or simply "Analysis"?
    Thanks.

Raymott is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Omission of initial article or not?

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyrichard View Post
    Dear teachers,
    If I wish to have "The shaping of Nathaniel Hawthorne’s paradoxical mentality" as a subheading in my paper, do I have to omit the initial article "The" or can I omit this "The"or is it that either omitting it or keeping it will do? And how about the intial article in this subheading "The Analysis of Three Major Characters in The Scarlet Letter "? Will the subheading sound more idiomatic if "The Analysis" is changed to "An Analysis" or simply "Analysis"?
    Thanks.
    You need the "the" in "The shaping of Nathaniel Hawthorne’s paradoxical mentality".
    "Analysis of Three Major Characters in The Scarlet Letter".

They are different. You don't need the article with words like Introduction; Background; Results; Analysis; Discussion, etc. They are descriptions of what follows.
    However in the "shaping" example, the shaping... doesn't follow. Your opinions of the shaping... follows.
    So you call it "Opinions of the Shaping ...." or "The Shaping ...."

konungursvia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless you remove the "of" in which case you can remove the article.

ohmyrichard is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    You need the "the" in "The shaping of Nathaniel Hawthorne’s paradoxical mentality".
    "Analysis of Three Major Characters in The Scarlet Letter".

They are different. You don't need the article with words like Introduction; Background; Results; Analysis; Discussion, etc. They are descriptions of what follows.
    However in the "shaping" example, the shaping... doesn't follow. Your opinions of the shaping... follows.
    So you call it "Opinions of the Shaping ...." or "The Shaping ...."

So, for subheadings, we have "The shaping of Nathaniel Hawthorne’s paradoxical mentality" while we have "Analysis of Three Major Characters in The Scarlet Letter" with the initial article "the" omitted. Right?
    You said in your post that "You don't need the article with words like Introduction; Background; Results; Analysis; Discussion, etc. They are descriptions of what follows." Can you recommend some material to me to read? For, to be frank, I still find the description aspect of words like Introduction; Background; Results; Analysis; Discussion, etc. somewhat difficult to understand. I tried to find some articles on the omission of the initial artile in titles and subheadings, but I failed to get any.
    Thanks.

Raymott is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyrichard View Post
    So, for subheadings, we have "The shaping of Nathaniel Hawthorne’s paradoxical mentality" while we have "Analysis of Three Major Characters in The Scarlet Letter" with the initial article "the" omitted. Right?
    Yes

You said in your post that "You don't need the article with words like Introduction; Background; Results; Analysis; Discussion, etc. They are descriptions of what follows." Can you recommend some material to me to read? For, to be frank, I still find the description aspect of words like Introduction; Background; Results; Analysis; Discussion, etc. somewhat difficult to understand. I tried to find some articles on the omission of the initial artile in titles and subheadings, but I failed to get any.
    Thanks.

Look at some scholarly journals if you can find any. I don't mean journals describing the rules; I mean examples that use headings and subheadings.

ohmyrichard is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Look at some scholarly journals if you can find any. I don't mean journals describing the rules; I mean examples that use headings and subheadings.
    Right. I will find some English scholarly journals for reference, for Chinese scholarly journals with their table of contents poorly translated on the inside back cover in most cases would get me more embarrassed and more confused. Thanks for reminding me of this way of dealing with the issue.
    Richard