• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

• Post Thanks / Like

fourscore and seven years/brought forth/conceived/dedicated/proposition/hallow

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am on the right track by the interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, an dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.
    fore score and seven years = 87 years
    brought forth = created, bring into existence
    conceived = begun, begotten
    dedicated = devoted
    proposition = idea

We have come to dedicate a portion of that field as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live.
    dedicate = set apart for a specific use

It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.
    altogether = completely

But, in a large sense, we cannot dedicate-we cnnot consecrate-we cannot hallow-this ground.
    consecrate, hallow = declare holy

The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above pur poor power to add or detract.
    detract = take away
    It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us-that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion; that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom; and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
    resolve = decide
    in vain = for no reason
    perish = pass away

My homey and I are going skiing tomorrow.
    homey = a friend, a close (usually male) buddy

We just kicked it at home last night.
    kick it = to relax, to sit around and do nothing, to hang out

He started tripping after we told him there was a test today.
    trip = to go crazy; to overact; to act foolish; to lie

The band that playe at the party was totally tight!
    tight = good, vey good, great, excellent,

Let just chill tonight.
    chill = to relax, to calm down

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: fourscore and seven years/brought forth/conceived/dedicated/proposition/hallow

Very well done!

I've never heard "to trip" for "to lie."

"Homey" comes from "homeboy" -- a fellow who grew up with you; someone you know from "back home."

This word came into use because of a strong tendency for the US population to be mobile. Especially in the inner cities, kids may spend part of their childhoods in rural Southern areas ("home") and part in northern urban areas. So bumping into someone in New York City who was a friend back home in Jasper, Alabama is not at all rare.

For people born and raised in northern cities, a "homey" is someone from your neighborhood ("home"), who attended your public school, etc.

The use of "homey" has partially generalized to include more recent friends and friends made "here," not just "back home."