Unregistered Guest

Unhappy Romeo and Juliet Act I, scene v

I'm a first year university student and my English Professor has asked us to write an essay on the meeting of Romeo and Juliet. I'm having troubles writing anything because I'm not entirely sure what to write about. He was not very specific at all, and I just need some help to think of a topic regarding the first time that they meet (e.g. love at first sight). I don't know how far I could take that because there isn't a whole lot I could say about that.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Romeo and Juliet Act I, scene v

Only you can really say how much you can write on that topic. "Love at first sight" is not really about HOW they met, or WHY they met, or the circumstances surrounding the characters.

Start your essay, post what you write and someone can then comment.

Ann1977 is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Romeo and Juliet Act I, scene v

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm a first year university student and my English Professor has asked us to write an essay on the meeting of Romeo and Juliet. I'm having troubles writing anything because I'm not entirely sure what to write about. He was not very specific at all, and I just need some help to think of a topic regarding the first time that they meet (e.g. love at first sight). I don't know how far I could take that because there isn't a whole lot I could say about that.

You could begin by mentioning Romeo's shallow and trifling interest with Rosaline.

Then transition into how different it is when he first sees Juliet -- how he is stunned, etc.

There's his great speech upon his first seeing her that can be drawn out and analyzed.

For example, this speech is made of contrasts (as is a lot of R&J, which alternates comedy and tragedy, is stuffed with oxymorons, etc)

Here are a few lines juxtaposing "dark" and "light" items -- these two "colors" in themselves foreshadow the good and bad that is to come:

O! she doth teach the torches to burn bright.
    It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night
    Like a rich jewel in an Ethiop's ear;
    Beauty too rich for use, for earth too dear!
    So shows a snowy dove trooping with crows

A little later, Shakespeare alternates "saint" and "sinner" imagery.

You can even point out that this tactic of alternating and juxtaposing opposites is in itself a subliminal message about the meaning of the play.

----------------------------------------------------

If you still need more, you can conclude with what this all means:
    - The Shakespearean era's opinion of romantic love
    - the folly of the lovers' pursuing this madness (in terms of the disaster that is to come)

Best wishes in your studies.
    ~ Ann