• Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Vocabularies/Grammar

What needs to be improved first,do you think? Vocabularies or Grammar for who has just started to learn English.We need your ideas,please!
    Last edited by phorntita; 25-Sep-2009 at 11:40. Reason: a sign added

Hitch is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vocabularies/Grammar

Grammar first since it teaches us the rules and structure of the english language. It is basic and the foundation of expression for correct construction and right understanding in conveying thoughts and emotions. Without it, we will have difficulty sending our message across and equally, with the wrong construction or structure, the receiver of the message or the listener, would interpret things differently. Although there are differences among fluency, accuracy and proficiency in the use of english language!

phorntita is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    Grammar first since it teaches us the rules and structure of the english language. It is basic and the foundation of expression for correct construction and right understanding in conveying thoughts and emotions. Without it, we will have difficulty sending our message across and equally, with the wrong construction or structure, the receiver of the message or the listener, would interpret things differently. Although there are differences among fluency, accuracy and proficiency in the use of english language!
    Oh! I like how clear & smooth your writing was. I think fluency in writing style is another important thing we should consider about as well(but later & not this time). Back to the thread, but when I was small I was worried about the Vocab very much I thought at that time how could I understand all the sentences if I didn't know what their meanings were. what is your idea, then?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

You need something of both- you need vocab but you also need to know some grammar in order to stick the words together in a comprehensible and meaningful way. That doesn't mean that you need a whole load of grammar rules. It could also depend on other factors like the learner's age, educational background, expectations, etc.

Hitch is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Vocabulary is something we build over time! There are some nationalities where English is a foreign language not necessarily a second one, and when you talk with them, they respond in a single word or two. You would understand them but with difficulty because of their inability to put their vocabulary into a sentence. What is the sense of collecting vocabulary like idioms, high-fallutin words, phrasal verbs, context clues, and confusing words for correct usage (e.g. affect, effect) if you cannot use them in a sentence. Gaining vocabulary first guarantees neither fluency nor proficiency. Words are meaningless if they are not part of a sentence. A dictionary gives information on words not just meanings, so using it will certainly help as you brush up on your English little by little, step by step!

phorntita is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    You need something of both- you need vocab but you also need to know some grammar in order to stick the words together in a comprehensible and meaningful way. That doesn't mean that you need a whole load of grammar rules. It could also depend on other factors like the learner's age, educational background, expectations, etc.
    Yes, Tdol I couldn't agree more.

RedBlue is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely agree with Hitch's concept about vocabularies are built over time. According to my experience, I have been practicing English through out the years and if English is your second language you should learn grammar first. Thats my opinion if I may say. You could always go learning both if you have all day.