Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Classroom management: how do i encourage very shy teenagers to talk in class?

I've found that getting shy teenagers to talk in class takes time -- to create a safe environment and build trust.

But what if I don't have the luxury of time to build that trust because I'm substituting for another teacher and I have to do a lesson that involves a lot of speaking? What can I do if they steadfastly refuse to open their mouths, and refuse to even look at their partners out of sheer shyness?

Anyone has any similar experiences? I would really be grateful for any insight!

I'm With Stupid is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Classroom management: how do i encourage very shy teenagers to talk in class?

I'm not a teacher yet, but as someone who was quite shy in school, I would say try and avoid situations where they're talking and everyone else in the classroom is listening. Either get everyone to say particular phrases together as a group, or set everyone off on a speaking exercise, and then just wonder around the classroom and listen to each couple in turn. I think that shy students will be far less self-conscious if they don't think everyone's listening to them. But having said that, I know it can be difficult to get people to do things when they're not into it, even if you're not watching them like a hawk.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Classroom management: how do i encourage very shy teenagers to talk in class?

These teenagers are so shy, they won't even talk to their partners during pairwork. It's really unusual, even for Asian students, who tend to be shy in general (sweeping statement, but true in most cases). Thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

I have faced the similar situation as your's.

Try to ask simple questions so that they are able to answer them and praise them for their answer. Encouragement and motivation are other ways to get the things on track.

Lupuspol is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nupur View Post
    I have faced the similar situation as your's.

Try to ask simple questions so that they are able to answer them and praise them for their answer. Encouragement and motivation are other ways to get the things on track.
    I agree this is exactly the strategy, build confidence, make them enjoy using the language and everybody enjoys being praised!

nedira is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Algeria
      • Current Location:
      • Algeria
    Post Thanks / Like

Try to ask them questions which are related to their lives. These questions

should be interesting. Try not to correct every mistake they make otherwise,

they will feel shy and unconfident. Another point which is too important is to

appreciate their ideas. If their ideas are accepted, they will be encouraged to participate in other disscussions.

pmrozik is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by juchoo View Post
    These teenagers are so shy, they won't even talk to their partners during pairwork. It's really unusual, even for Asian students, who tend to be shy in general (sweeping statement, but true in most cases). Thanks for sharing!
    You need to make them feel comfortable in the classroom and they need to be certain that you won't lash out at them when they make a mistake.

Being reasonably shy is fine, but my personal belief is that students who are too shy most likely face or have faced a lot of criticism from those in authority in the past. They are extremely self-conscious and afraid of being judged, especially by their peers.

There are instances where insecurity arises only while speaking English, but usually it's a much deeper self-esteem problem.

If you don't have much time, it may be problematic as the level of trust that was mentioned earlier is crucial. You need to take it slow, step by step. Increase the pressure over time and see what happens, but don't push too hard or you'll discourage them.

Good luck!

Pawel

Post Thanks / Like

In addiction to all the tips already given, I have another one. I give them a chance to prepare a sentence/ a reply and practise it in advance. For example I tell them that they will be among the first ones to read out homework or the results of working with a partner or on their own. When they have said their part, they get a positive feedback and hopefully it will encourage them to try something else during the rest of the lesson.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I see from your location that you may well be teaching Malay teens? Are they by chance girls? Have you considered how Islam might affect their lives especially as girls?

I have been involved with Filipino, Korean, Thai & Japanese kids in the past and have never had problems above what would be considered normal, these are not Islamic countries.

Just my 2 peso worth...

Brendan

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

The OP asked an interesting question. Let's not let the discussion get derailed into a discussion of the role of women in Islamic society (where it could well generate more heat than light )

b

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast