Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Classroom management: how do i encourage very shy teenagers to talk in class?

Hi,

Yes I totally agree, but it is still a point worth considering when we find ourselves in a similar situation. Maybe there is an outside influence that is not obvious.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Classroom management: how do i encourage very shy teenagers to talk in class?

I agree that building confidence is important but let’s face it; the time we have to build confidence is rather limited.
    I have my students relate in the 3rd person or role play. Adding humor to the mix is even better. As a native speaker of English in a foreign country my first course of action with new students is to show them how “bad” my use of their language is. This is almost always works for me.
    good luck
    Michelle

Post Thanks / Like

I teach in a situation (boarding school) where 5 or more ethnicities or cultures mix in one classroom, and I find knowing a little about the cultural background and mores helps understand why the shy girl in the back rarely speaks.

The only success I've had is time and classroom environment. If the kids feel safe, and if when the shy student makes a comment, it has to be supported and appreciated. And if the teach actively teaches response-behavior to others' input, it can be a big help.

There are lots of factors - age, gender, class demographic, teacher-personality...

You can force each student to talk now and then, but that won't necessarily get you where you want to be.

aziz abd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Morocco
      • Current Location:
      • Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

I think every teacher all over the world experiences the same situation at different levels as far as speaking, or let's say oral participation, is concerned. Similar situations are dealt with in a perfect manner in two films ;(the ones I have seen so far) : DEAD POETS SOCIETY and FREEDOM WRITERS.Watch them and I think you'll find the answer to your question .Time costraints are not a problem .When the students accept you ,the'll help you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12