• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

curled position facing the sunrise/curld up and died/curl up with a good book

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to explain to me in plain English the meaning of the expressions in bold in the following three sentences?

Another piece of evidence that backs up this theory is the fact that Neanderthals also buried their dead in a curled position facing the sunrise.

At first the horse was ahead but in the home stretch she curled up and died.

I love to curl up with a good book.

I know the definition of “give up” namely “assume a position with the legs drawn up, settle down for sleep in this position.” Would you give me a more lifelike definition?

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    Last edited by vil; 30-Sep-2009 at 08:23.

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: curled position facing the sunrise/curld up and died/curl up with a good book

"Curled up" often is meant to describe the fetal position. It usually means that the person is laying on his/her side, knees drawn upward toward the chest, the elbows are bent and the hands are clapsed beneath the chin, or clapsed and tucked beneath a pillow as the person sleeps.

When one "curls up" with a good book, it usually implies that the person has assumed a comfortable position - whether it be semi-fetal on a sofa, or just settled into a La-Z-Boy chair under a blanket - and intends to block out all external distractions in order to concentrate and enjoy his/her reading material.