• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

A job application letter for two posts available in the same company.

Hi all,

I saw some job advertisements, and
    I am interested in two of the following positions available in ABC company:
    1. Assistant Operation Manager
    2. Sales Manager
    The email addresses for the two posts are the same: application[at]ABC[dot]com
    I am going to apply for the two positions but I don't want to send my C.V. to the same email address twice, so I am wondering how you would cope with this situation if you were me.

I don't know if it is grammatically correct to begin the letter by saying this:
    I am writing to apply for the positions of Assistant Operation Manager and Sales Manager in ABC company?

Please kindly help.

Kitty

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A job application letter for two posts available in the same company.

Quote Originally Posted by kwfine View Post
    Hi all,

I saw some job advertisements, and
    I am interested in two of the following positions available in ABC company:
    1. Assistant Operation Manager
    2. Sales Manager
    The email addresses for the two posts are the same: application[at]ABC[dot]com
    I am going to apply for the two positions but I don't want to send my C.V. to the same email address twice, so I am wondering how you would cope with this situation if you were me.

I don't know if it is grammatically correct to begin the letter by saying this:
    I am writing to apply for the positions of Assistant Operation Manager and Sales Manager in ABC company?

Please kindly help.

Kitty
    It's grammatically correct. However, it's not the best style to write "I'm writing ...". It's obvious that you're writing. I would remove "I'm writing", and rewrite the sentence. Post it again, along with more of your letter. I'd be glad to take a look at it and comment further.

By the way, I would use one letter per position, not one letter for both positions.

Last edited by PROESL; 29-Sep-2009 at 15:42.

kwfine is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for the help, PROESL.

How about if I re-write the sentence in this way:

I am interested in applying for the position of Assistant Operation Manager in your company.
    I am a fresh graduate of History from ABC College.
    During the three years in ABC College, I had been one of the active student in school, and leaders of many student activites.
    I was working as student helper in a bookstore at ABC college for three years. I began as a sales assistant role in the bookstore for the first two years, and my major daily duties in the bookstore include resolving inquiries from customers, and introducing new books to customers.
    I was promoted to the Assistant Store Manager in my last year at ABC college, and there was a big change in my daily work in which I had to manage the book sales and help improve the daily business operation...
    I was glad to know of your opening and please call me at 123456789 for an interview.

Please kindly help again, PROESL
    Thank you.

Kitty
    Last edited by kwfine; 29-Sep-2009 at 08:02.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: A job application letter for two posts available in the same company.

How about if I re-write the sentence in this way:

Please kindly help again, PROESL

Thank you.

Kitty
    Hi Kitty,

Unfortunately, this is kind of rough, but if you want to do it right, I've got to be straightforward with you.

Note: You should note that I'm from the US, and I see that you are in Australia. I don't think a cover letter would be any different there, but then again these are two different countries and what's normal or regular in the US might not be normal or regular in Australia. Ask someone there to take a look at it to be sure that it's appropriate for Australia, just as it is appropriate for the US.

Dear [address this to a person if you have a name]

This is one possibility for an opening statement: I would like to apply for the position of Assistant Operations Manager at [use the name of the company]

This is a very standard opening statement: Please, accept this letter as application for the position of Assistant Operations Manager at [use the name of the company]

This opening statement is used time and time again, but it works. It does the job. A cover letter is not an exercise in creative writing.

This information is on your resume under the EDUCATION heading. People don't want to read it in your cover letter. I would omit this part.

I am a fresh graduate of History from ABC College. During the three years in ABC College, I had been one of the active student in school, and leaders of many student activites.
    This goes on your resume under the heading EXPERIENCE. Once again, if it's on your resume, they don't want to read it in a cover letter. This is also something you'll be able to talk about at the interview. The idea behind a cover letter and a resume is to get an interview. When you get the interview, the resume becomes a little less important. During the interview you have to be sharp and make a good impression. The interviewer could ask you questions directly related to information on your resume, so be prepared for this.

I was working as student helper in a bookstore at ABC college for three years. I began as a sales assistant role in the bookstore for the first two years, and my major daily duties in the bookstore include resolving inquiries from customers, and introducing new books to customers.
    Save this part for the interview. This is also something that will be on your resume. The idea is to not duplicate information.

I was promoted to the Assistant Store Manager in my last year at ABC college, and there was a big change in my daily work in which I had to manage the book sales and help improve the daily business operation...
    Here's a general format to follow for a cover letter. A cover letter should be no more than three paragraphs, or four at the most. It should be only one page. It has to get straight to the point. It has to tell the person why he or she should consider you for the job or give you the job. This is a very simple format, but that's all that's required. Write it. I'll correct and revise it, and make additional suggestions as necessary.

General Format for a Cover Letter

Your Name
    Address
    City State Zip Code
    Home Telephone Number
    Cell Phone Number
    Email Address

Date

Person’s Name
    Title
    Company Name
    Address
    City State Zip Code

Dear Name,

o Find out the name of the person who is going to read your résumé and cover letter if this is possible.

Introduction

Say who you are and say why you are writing. If you are replying because of an advertisement, say something about it. Don’t write “I am writing”. It’s obvious that you are writing.

Middle

1. Say what you have experience in. Comment on how your background is relevant to the position you are applying for. Talk about your experience in general. Make this information a selling point. Build it up in a positive way. Don’t be too specific.

2. Give reasons why this employer should give you the job you are applying for. Explain why the employer should hire you.

· Say something about why you are a good match for the job

3. Write a concluding statement that tells the reader “you should get the job”

Note: It might be useful to know a few things about the company you are applying to when writing your cover letter. It could help you explain why you would be a good match for the job and the company.

End

4. Request an interview, and thank the reader.

o You might want to tell the reader that you will contact him or her, but this is not necessary.

Sincerely,

Signature

Typewritten name

Enclosure
    Last edited by PROESL; 29-Sep-2009 at 16:12.

konungursvia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, English language business practices may be different from what you expect. I recommend you consider the position that's the better fit for you, and apply for just one.

You can also write "I am pleased to write to you to apply for the position of ..." as an opener.

kwfine is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to ask a question about the Title of the receiver.
    I had ever seen some job advertisements like this:
    [...If you feel interested in the opening, please send your CV to us.
    contact person: Peter Lynn]

In the above example, the receiver of the applicants' CVs will be Peter Lynn. But the problem
    is that they don't know his Title. What shall I do then if I were one of the job applicants?
    Can I omit writing his Title in the cover letter?

Please kindly advise.

Kitty
    Last edited by kwfine; 30-Sep-2009 at 17:33.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to ask a question about the Title of the receiver.
    I had ever seen some job advertisements like this:
    [...If you feel interested in the opening, please send your CV to us.
    contact person: Peter Lynn]

In the above example, the receiver of the applicants' CVs will be Peter Lynn. But the problem
    is that they don't know his Title. What shall I do then if I were one of the job applicants?
    Can I omit writing his Title in the cover letter?

Please kindly advise.

Kitty
    I think in this case, it's okay to omit the title. If you don't have it, you don't have it.

You could, however, go to the company site to see if they list any managers or HR people. No doubt, he's a manager or someone in HR.

You could call the company to see if a receptionist answers the phone. If a receptionist answers the phone, kindly ask what his title is. Explain yourself.

If he asks how you know his title at the interview, tell him how you found out and why you wanted to find out. You thought it was more respectful to include his title and you didn't want it to seem as though the information on your letter was incomplete. Maybe others would not advise doing this. However, if you think it's a good idea, then go ahead. I think it would be okay in US culture to do this. I'm not so sure about other cultures, however. If I did this and it didn't go over well - not accepted well - then I would simply know that this is not the right company for me. However, if I were interviewing you, I'd be a little impressed by your proactiveness and resourcefulness. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's dealing with people who seem not to take it upon themselves to do things, and there are plenty in this field. Those people are reactive. Being proactive is better. And being pro PROESL might even be better.