Thread: Articles -Says

Post Thanks / Like

Default Articles -Says

In early January the U.S. imposed pen­alties on eight Chinese companies, includ­ing Norinco. State Department officials claim the companies are exporting high-performance metals to Tehran, which could be used to develop long-range mis­siles capable of striking Israel. But Lu in­sists the threats from Washington will not slow down the explosion of Chinese com­panies coming to Iran. "Why should we have to ask America's permission to do business here?" he says. "We are a sover­eign country." Analysts believe that defi­ant attitude is likely to grow in tandem with China's involvement in Iran. "U.S. sanc­tions will pale into insignificance once the China energy arrangement takes off," says Davood Bavand, professor of international relations at the University of Tehran, who was once the Shah's ambassador to the UN. "Washington will need to find other ways to impose pressure on Iran."

1. "Why should we have to ask America's permission to do business here?" he says. (How come they use 'says'? Is this viewed as immediate past or are they trying to relive the situation again?)

2. "Why should we have to ask America's permission to do business here?" he said. (Why not use this one?)

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Articles -Says

In early January the U.S. imposed pen­alties on eight Chinese companies, includ­ing Norinco. State Department officials claim the companies are exporting high-performance metals to Tehran, which could be used to develop long-range mis­siles capable of striking Israel. But Lu in­sists the threats from Washington will not slow down the explosion of Chinese com­panies coming to Iran. "Why should we have to ask America's permission to do business here?" he says. "We are a sover­eign country." Analysts believe that defi­ant attitude is likely to grow in tandem with China's involvement in Iran. "U.S. sanc­tions will pale into insignificance once the China energy arrangement takes off," says Davood Bavand, professor of international relations at the University of Tehran, who was once the Shah's ambassador to the UN. "Washington will need to find other ways to impose pressure on Iran."

1. "Why should we have to ask America's permission to do business here?" he says. (How come they use 'says'? Is this viewed as immediate past or are they trying to relive the situation again?)
    2. "Why should we have to ask America's permission to do business here?" he said. (Why not use this one?)

Thanks.

Journalistic reports of events use the simple present tense (not the present continuous, which indicates the event is still going on). Eventhough, common sense tells us the event is completed and should be in Simple Past. That also applies to the event of death or sporting events.

ex. President J.F.K. Kennedy dies at 46.

Iron Mike Tyson bites off the ear of Evander Holyfield.

Post Thanks / Like

Journalistic reports of events use the simple present tense (not the present continuous, which indicates the event is still going on).
    I still don't get it. Why not past tense? Why use present simple? When I talk and report about a past event, I use past tense. I don't use present simple? So why do reporters use present simple?
    Last edited by jack; 22-Feb-2005 at 22:58.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jack
    I still don't get it. Why not past tense? Why use present simple? When I talk and report about a past event, I use past tense. I don't use present simple? So why do reporters use present simple?
    All I can tell you is what I just said: it's a journalistic way of writing. I have no other explanation for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marylin
    All I can tell you is what I just said: it's a journalistic way of writing. I have no other explanation for that.
    I also believe it somehow gives you the sense of immediacy so the entire paragraph takes on more importance. It adds a little drama and becomes more interesting to read. It makes you think you read the news as it takes place.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, I think that says, here, is not used with that meaning but with that of having an opinion, contending something. By saying:

"Why should we have to ask America's permission to do business here?" he says.

The author is actually conveying: he is of the opinion that America's permission is not required.

Given that this refers to an idea, which probably isn't bound to change soon, simple present is not a bad tense to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HCaulfield
    Also, I think that says, here, is not used with that meaning but with that of having an opinion, contending something. By saying:

"Why should we have to ask America's permission to do business here?" he says.

The author is actually conveying: he is of the opinion that America's permission is not required.

Given that this refers to an idea, which probably isn't bound to change soon, simple present is not a bad tense to use.
    Now, I think I might have misunderstood the entire thing. I thought Jack was asking about the word "says" and not the sentence itself. In either case, I think the same still applies.

Post Thanks / Like

To my understanding, it is because of the entire sentence that the word says works.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=jack]
    1. "Why should we have to ask America's permission to do business here?" he says. [/
    QUOTE]

I agree with both Marylin and HCaulfield. Writers often use the historical present and, moreover, the question "Why should we. . . ?" is what's being debated at present. It's the topic, right?

Using "says" adds immediacy to the person's words; it brings the question "Why . . . ?" into focus, into the here and now.

Using "said" removes the question from the here and now, and that could give the reader the impression that the question is not immediate, not part of the article, not as important as are things in the present.