Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Books to read

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Books to read

    Hello teachers
    A friend of mine has advised me to read the best-selling books, because, according to him, those kind of novels are very easy to understand and writers try to use a simple vocabulary.
    Would you mind to recommend some authors.
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Books to read

    Depends a bit on what you like to read. Avoid Dan Brown. His writing is amongst the worst there is.

    Try Stephen King, James Patterson, Ian Rankin, Michael Crichton, John Grisham.

  3. #3
    Abstract Idea is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Books to read

    Quote Originally Posted by pepe00 View Post
    Hello teachers
    A friend of mine has advised me to read the best-selling books, because, according to him, those kind of novels are very easy to understand and writers try to use a simple vocabulary.
    Would you mind to recommend some authors.
    Thanks.
    The best-selling books are not necessarily the easier ones to understand.
    There are many specialized ESL publishers, with simplified/graded texts designed for the English learner at various levels.

    But the greatest behoof regarding best-sellers in my opinion is that they are widely translated to several languages and many people know their stories. So I think that it is very useful for an English student to read a best-seller translation to his own native language and, some time after, reread it in the original English version.

    I advise the student to rely only on original genuine English written books, preferably written by native speakers.

    And finally of course one's personal taste plays a central role here. For example I personally like Dan Brown's books.

  4. #4
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,758
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Books to read

    Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    The best-selling books are not necessarily the easier ones to understand.
    There are many specialized ESL publishers, with simplified/graded texts designed for the English learner at various levels.

    But the greatest behoof regarding best-sellers in my opinion is that they are widely translated to several languages and many people know their stories. So I think that it is very useful for an English student to read a best-seller translation to his own native language and, some time after, reread it in the original English version.

    I advise the student to rely only on original genuine English written books, preferably written by native speakers.

    And finally of course one's personal taste plays a central role here. For example I personally like Dan Brown's books.
    I think this is a good idea for some people. I sent away for Italian versions of some Stephen King and Patricia Cornwell novels, read the English versions first, and I find that a good way of learning. You know the basic story, so you don't have to keep looking up the dictionary. You can let most of the words go that you don't understand.
    But it might not suit everyone.

  5. #5
    Abstract Idea is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Books to read

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I think this is a good idea for some people. I sent away for Italian versions of some Stephen King and Patricia Cornwell novels, read the English versions first, and I find that a good way of learning. You know the basic story, so you don't have to keep looking up the dictionary. You can let most of the words go that you don't understand.
    But it might not suit everyone.
    Yes, Raymott, that is precisely the idea. Since you already know the basic story you can continue reading on even if there are some important facts you don't understand quite well. The idea is not to learn by direct comparison or translation of the two languages. Although I cannot see clearly the cons of this "method", I agree it might not suit everyone.

    But if one wants to learn Italian, I woud recommend reading Italian authors.

  6. #6
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,758
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Books to read

    Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    But if one wants to learn Italian, I would recommend reading Italian authors.
    Yes, I can't fault that as a generic piece of advice.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Books to read

    Thanks a lot for yours answers, i have already read some novels of John Grisham and Danielle Steel, and i found both writers interesting and easy to follow. However most of bestseller's writers are americans, are there others from britain or irland that you could recommend me?
    Thank you very much.

  8. #8
    Abstract Idea is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Books to read

    Quote Originally Posted by pepe00 View Post
    Thanks a lot for yours answers, i have already read some novels of John Grisham and Danielle Steel, and i found both writers interesting and easy to follow. However most of bestseller's writers are americans, are there others from britain or irland that you could recommend me?
    Thank you very much.
    You may find something interesting here:
    http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/li...tralia-nz.html

  9. #9
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,655
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Books to read

    Quote Originally Posted by pepe00 View Post
    Thanks a lot for yours answers, i have already read some novels of John Grisham and Danielle Steel, and i found both writers interesting and easy to follow. However most of bestseller's writers are americans, are there others from britain or irland that you could recommend me?
    Thank you very much.
    For Irish writers, you could try Roddy Doyle, Maeve Binchy (very easy), Liam O'Flaherty and Walter Macken. From the link that you were given, I can recommend Tim Winton's "Cloudstreet" it's great.
    Last edited by bhaisahab; 02-Oct-2009 at 11:08. Reason: Addition

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Books to read

    Thanks a lot for your Help
    Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Can one learn to read faster?
    By Will in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 27-Nov-2009, 00:43
  2. The book reads well.
    By Lenka in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 29-Dec-2008, 07:33
  3. [General] How to read 28X15X0.9MM in specification
    By kevin_von in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-Oct-2008, 14:37
  4. top drawer read?
    By thedaffodils in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-May-2008, 22:46
  5. how to read and understand what i have read
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-Aug-2003, 23:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •