mcilroga is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a small grammatical inquiry

Hello all, the thesis of my History essay is:

"And that, is the measure of a true revolutionary - when one’s creation is significant not just to the Renaissance of the 14th - 17th centuries, but to the continuing renaissance of art and learning today."

I am wondering if, in this context, the "to" is correct or redundant? The statement without it would look like:

"And that, is the measure of a true revolutionary - when one’s creation is significant not just to the Renaissance of the 14th - 17th centuries, but the continuing renaissance of art and learning today."

I have a feeling the first is correct but I'd just like to make sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Ann1977 is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just a small grammatical inquiry

Quote Originally Posted by mcilroga View Post
    Hello all, the thesis of my History essay is:

"And that, is the measure of a true revolutionary - when one’s creation is significant not just to the Renaissance of the 14th - 17th centuries, but to the continuing renaissance of art and learning today."

I am wondering if, in this context, the "to" is correct or redundant? The statement without it would look like:

"And that, is the measure of a true revolutionary - when one’s creation is significant not just to the Renaissance of the 14th - 17th centuries, but the continuing renaissance of art and learning today."

I have a feeling the first is correct but I'd just like to make sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
    I don't find the second "to" redundant. I think it helps the reader navigate through that long sentence, and makes it clear how the two sections relate to each other.

What I don't understand is the comma after "that." It is a frequent error to separate the subject from the verb with a comma, but it's not correct.

The sentence should say:
    "And that is the measure of a true revolutionary -- etc ..."