Calling these people "funky" is the same (in a grammatical sense) as calling them "noisy" or "quiet" - or - "nice" or "nasty"
It's just an adjective to describe these particular people.
"Funky" has a lot of meanings and uses:
- a. Having a moldy or musty smell: funky cheese; funky cellars.
- b. Having a strong, offensive, unwashed odor.
- a. Of or relating to music that has an earthy quality reminiscent of the blues.
- b. Combining elements of jazz, blues, and soul and characterized by syncopated rhythm and a heavy, repetitive bass line.
3. Slang Earthy and uncomplicated; natural: "At the opposite end of Dallas's culinary spectrum is funky regional fare" (Jacqueline Friedrich).
4. Slang - a. Characterized by originality and modishness; unconventional: "a bizarre, funky [hotel ] dressed up as a ship, with mock portholes and mirrored ceilings over the beds" (Ann Louise Bardach).
- b. Outlandishly vulgar or eccentric in a humorous or tongue-in-cheek manner; campy: "funky caricatures of sexpot glamour" (Pauline Kael).
funky - definition of funky by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
- For Teachers