Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Well.can you tell me the main differences between home and house , here i want to tell one thing yesterday my english teacher told me that Home where people live permanently and the house where people live for few days not live permanently so plz tell me whats the main difference. and tell me also the difference between HOtel and Motel . Sir also told us that Motel is cheaper then Hotel and Motel is attached with highway and outside the city and hotel is in city. so plz tell me differences between them. bye i hope u make me things easier as u do in past i really appreciate you the way you are correcting ourselves.

Marylin

OK. let's start with home and house:

What your teacher is saying makes sense. A home is a place where you have created a living for yourself, you are attached to it emotionally, it somehow becomes a part of you - it carries the notion of comfort, security, happiness and the like.

Edgar A. Guest said this about a house and a home ( an American poet):

"It takes a heap o livin' in a house to make it home".

House is more like a structure - there's no particular emotional aspect to it.
There is a saying that goes: A house in which nobody lives is nobody's home.
A house will turn into a home once there are people in it that will create their own special environment for themeselves.
It's also important to remember that people make their homes in places other than houses like caves, cliff dwellings, huts, igloos, wigwams, etc. It's what you make of that place that counts and is special enough to call it a home.
All the info you have on motels and hotels is right. Motels are close to highways for easy access, they much smaller than hotels and therefore cheaper to run.

You will find a good explanation on Guru:
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=motel

for the definition of a hotel:
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=hotel

Last edited:

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Farhaj said:
Sir also told us that Motel is cheaper then Hotel and Motel is attached with highway and outside the city and hotel is in city. so plz tell me differences between them. bye i hope u make me things easier as u do in past i really appreciate you the way you are correcting ourselves.

The word motel means, motor hotel. That's a hotel where you park your car in front of the room you rent.;-)

Farhaj

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Well, but sir told me that Motel is cheaper then Hotel and Motel is always outside the city is it right or wrong? and tell me briefly about Motel because when i tell u sir about MOtel then he should be satisfy with my definition which is provided by you. so lots of thanks again. bye

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Farhaj said:
Well, but sir told me that Motel is cheaper then Hotel and Motel is always outside the city is it right or wrong? and tell me briefly about Motel because when i tell u sir about MOtel then he should be satisfy with my definition which is provided by you. so lots of thanks again. bye

20 or 30 years ago, motels were built along the highway for easy access, so that travelers didn't have to drive all the way into the city to find a place to stay. In those days, motels were cheaper than hotels, but these days things have changed. Cities have grown, and their limits or boundaries have expanded to include the outer areas. So, some motels are inside the city limits now and, moreover, some motels are more expensive than some hotels. It depends on the quality of the establishment. ;-) The one significant difference between motels and hotels these days is that with motels (motor inns), you can park your car in front of your motel room, or nearby, so it's accessible.

Farhaj

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
You are really Great! when i told you sir about your statement then he totally agree with me it means he is agree with your answer. So its really great i hope you help me in future also .

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
They can build a house, but it's not a home until some human being feels it is.

jctgf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Tuvalu
Current Location
Tuvalu
I'm living in/at a friend's home/house.

Which one is the right one, please?
Thanks.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I"m living with my friend.
I"m living at my friend's house.

You will find hotels outside of cities as well. To repeat the main different, the entrance to a motel room is outside. With a hotel, there is a main entrance to the entire building, and the rooms open from inside hallways. A motel may have many stories, but you would still climb an exterior staircase to your level, and walk along an exterior balcony to your room. It would be a mistake to say that motels are always cheaper than hotels or to rely on where they are located to say which is which.

jctgf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Tuvalu
Current Location
Tuvalu
is the word "motel" associated with something somehow inappropriate?
thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
thanks.

It has been, in certain circumstances.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
thanks.

Can you be more specific?

You can do something inappropriate anywhere.

If someone said "I stayed at a motel last night" I wouldn't have any ideas about anything inappropriate.

There is the idea of something called a "no-tell motel" where you can and go pretty anonymously, but to be honest, you can do that at a hotel too.

jctgf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Tuvalu
Current Location
Tuvalu
I wonder if motels are somehow linked to drugs, prostitution or things like that.
thanks.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Like ANYWHERE, they can be linked to that.

98.5% of the time, they are linked to "getting a night's rest while people are on the road."

As someone who has stayed hundreds of nights in motels, I can assure you I've never done drugs there, smuggled in immigrants there, or obtained any money for sexual services there.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I wonder if motels are somehow linked to drugs, prostitution or things like that.
thanks.
No, not just by virtue of being a motel, they aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.