Post Thanks / Like

Why do they use text books in schools?

To tell you the truth, i hate text books, those stuffs are fake, are not real english, english people don't speak that way, so why do english schools use those books?.
    I had been in USA, England and Ireland, people speak real english different than anything related with those hateful text books.
    Why do english schools focus in theory, grammar and grammar?,oh God, these boring classes, why don't they start by conversations, or some practical ways?
    We must forget about filling words or sentences, homework, theory and more theory...., because when you get out to street, to real life, you get lost, confused .
    Here in spain, the vast majority of the students who have been learning english for more than five years, they are hold back, blocked, they find it very complicated to speak english, or to understand natives. unfortunately, they are wasting their time and money.
    The weird thing, some English schools are not giving classes in english, but translating spanish to english, according to them, this is the best method to improve your english abilities, such as Vaughan's system .
    I think, today's, english has been converted to a business matter , because all people around the world are looking forward to learn this international language.

nedira is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Algeria
      • Current Location:
      • Algeria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why do they use text books in schools?

Hi, I want to tell you that all that you say is totaly true. But I think most countries have shifted from these kind of textbooks which focues only on grammar. We all know that English language is taught everywhere for communicative purposes. This needs a real practice of English as it is spoken by its native speakers. In Algeria,my country, our English textbook has been completly changed in order to serve the real needs of our students. Before, it was full of grammar rules which help the student in doing nothing outside the classroom.

loui is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to make a quick point: Do you Speak Spanish the same way you were taught to speak it in your Spanish Class back in School I don't think you do

if you do, then people around you most likely perceives as Snobbish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loui View Post
    Just to make a quick point: Do you Speak Spanish the same way you were taught to speak it in your Spanish Class back in School I don't think you do

if you do, then people around you most likely perceives as Snobbish.
    I think you don't get my message, anyway, i started to speak spanish before going to school jaja. I referred to those english academies or schools around here spain, that the way they use to teach english i don't agree at all, they depend on those scam text books, this is the wrong way to teach a second language. The people want to speak english and understand native, everybody had studied english in school or high school, and i believe all of them have a good basic of the language as well as grammar.What people are looking for when they go to those english private school, is to improve their skills, spoken english ability and understanding, and what you get there is more theory, exercises and little practice.
    They should be others methods to learn english, and to be able to manage yourself when your are talking to natives.