Thread: The CEO

• Post Thanks / Like

The CEO

How big does a company have to be before it can have a CEO?

n. (Abbr. CEO)
    The highest-ranking executive in a company or organization, responsible for carrying out the policies of the board of directors on a day-to-day basis.

Read more here: chief executive officer: Definition from Answers.com

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: The CEO

Well, your example referenced a Board of Directors, so that implied a Corporation and that implies multiple employees. However, it is not necessarily so. Any individual can incorporate their self-employed business; you then may appoint a board of directors who are not necessarily employees (usually family), and the President or Owner can title themselves whatever they want. CEO is a good title; it looks smashing on a business card!

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlinger View Post
    Well, your example referenced a Board of Directors, so that implied a Corporation and that implies multiple employees. However, it is not necessarily so. Any individual can incorporate their self-employed business; you then may appoint a board of directors who are not necessarily employees (usually family), and the President or Owner can title themselves whatever they want. CEO is a good title; it looks smashing on a business card!
    Yes, but if the owner is the one and only fulltime employee, then it looks pretentious as well. It seems to be saying something that has yet to be realized.

To me, it's more of the following than smashing.

http://www.google.com/search?q=defin...activity&hl=en

making claim to or creating an appearance of (often undeserved) importance or distinction; "a pretentious country house"; "a pretentious fraud ...
    ostentatious: intended to attract notice and impress others; "an ostentatious sable coat"

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

I agree that it comes across as pretentious when sole traders, small companies, etc, use the term. If you don't have the other executives, then it's better not to use the term IMO.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I agree that it comes across as pretentious when sole traders, small companies, etc, use the term. If you don't have the other executives, then it's better not to use the term IMO.
    I have more respect for the honesty of "principal", "sole proprietor" and "consultant". Or with just a few employees, "director" is a good choice.

• Post Thanks / Like

That's exactly my point. Any individual can do this, of course. This is based on the freedom to do so, however, not on a true justification.

Anyone can get a business card and decide to put CEO or President on it.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

My favourite business cards are from a mom and pop restaurant. His says, "Bill Johnston. Commander in Chief." Hers says, "Maria Johnston. In charge of the Commander in Chief."

• Post Thanks / Like

My favourite business cards are from a mom and pop restaurant. His says, "Bill Johnston. Commander in Chief." Hers says, "Maria Johnston. In charge of the Commander in Chief."
    That's a good one.