Thread: meaning

Hanka is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default meaning

Hi,

Could you please help me with the meaning of the word "estate"? I know it means "assets", but could it also be a person? And if so, what kind of person it is?

Examples:
    1) The company shall have a first and paramount lien on all shares standing registered in the name of any person for all moneys presently payable by him or his estate to the company.
    2) The donee of a power to appoint property to anyone other than his estate shall not have the power to appoint property to himself, his estate, his creditors or the creditors of his estate, but may appoint to anyone not expressly excluded from the class of permissible appointees.
    3) In this case the court said that a life insurance policy made payable by
    the insured to a beneficiary other than his estate "does not by fair intendment come within the descriptive words of the statute as 'property . . . which shall pass . . . by . . . gift . . . made or intended to take effect in possession or enjoyment after the death of the grantor.

Thanks a lot!

Hanka

riverkid is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: meaning

Quote Originally Posted by Hanka View Post
    Hi,

Could you please help me with the meaning of the word "estate"? I know it means "assets", but could it also be a person? And if so, what kind of person it is?

Examples:
    1) The company shall have a first and paramount lien on all shares standing registered in the name of any person for all moneys presently payable by him or his estate to the company.
    2) The donee of a power to appoint property to anyone other than his estate shall not have the power to appoint property to himself, his estate, his creditors or the creditors of his estate, but may appoint to anyone not expressly excluded from the class of permissible appointees.
    3) In this case the court said that a life insurance policy made payable by
    the insured to a beneficiary other than his estate "does not by fair intendment come within the descriptive words of the statute as 'property . . . which shall pass . . . by . . . gift . . . made or intended to take effect in possession or enjoyment after the death of the grantor.

Thanks a lot!

Hanka
    There was an advert accompanying your question, Hanka, for some law office, a Joseph P Kellenger ... something or other, from Gainesville, FL. I guess you could ask him.

The estate is the financial life of an individual continued after their death by an executor who sees to it that the deceased's wishes are carried out. So in that sense, I guess you could say that it is a person.