Unregistered Guest

Smile can not land the aircraft?

Dear teachers,

I read the following sentences from an article but I did not quite understand why the aircraft could not land when the plane fuel change its consistency???
    Can someone please explain this for me?

"Around the middle of the continent, near the South Pole Station, the cold weather causes plane fuel to change consistency, making it impossible for aircraft to land.

Emily

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: can not land the aircraft?

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Dear teachers,

I read the following sentences from an article but I did not quite understand why the aircraft could not land when the plane fuel change its consistency???
    Can someone please explain this for me?

"Around the middle of the continent, near the South Pole Station, the cold weather causes plane fuel to change consistency, making it impossible for aircraft to land.

Emily
    I am terrible in physics but my guess is that particular aircraft wasn't designed for such extreme temperatures. Therefore a lot of fluids as well as mechanical parts on that aircraft can basically freeze up making it impossible to land. Or perhaps the landing gear itself can't open because of the low temperatures...? Everything just seizes up.