Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up which phrase is correct?

The technology for pacemakers, insulin pumps, and cochlear implants was all developed using live animals.

The technologies for pacemakers, insulin pumps, and cochlear implants were all developed using live animals.

Ann1977 is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: which phrase is correct?

The technology for pacemakers, insulin pumps, and cochlear implants was all developed using live animals.

This COULD have been correct if it meant that there was exactly one technology for all these things, and it was developed using live animals.

The problem is that the sentence specifies that they were ALL developed using live animals. That must mean that there was more than one technology, and so the first sentence is wrong.
    ------------------------------------

In addition, even if the sentence claimed (grammatically correctly) that there was only one technology:
    The technology for pacemakers, insulin pumps, and cochlear implants was developed using live animals
    it is still somewhat arresting to have the third person singular form of the verb (the word "was") coming right after all those plurals.

So if this had been the intent of the sentence, I think it would be better reworded or re-punctuated anyway, just for the sake of reader ease:
    The technology -- for pacemakers, insulin pumps, cochlear implants -- was developed using live animals.
    ---------------------------------------------

But that is just a theoretical observation because in fact the sentence does specify "ALL" those technologies, so the second one is correct.

The technologies for pacemakers, insulin pumps, and cochlear implants were all developed using live animals.

anupumh is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1977 View Post

This COULD have been correct if it meant that there was exactly one technology for all these things, and it was developed using live animals.

The problem is that the sentence specifies that they were ALL developed using live animals. That must mean that there was more than one technology, and so the first sentence is wrong.
    ------------------------------------

In addition, even if the sentence claimed (grammatically correctly) that there was only one technology:
    The technology for pacemakers, insulin pumps, and cochlear implants was developed using live animals
    it is still somewhat arresting to have the third person singular form of the verb (the word "was") coming right after all those plurals.

So if this had been the intent of the sentence, I think it would be better reworded or re-punctuated anyway, just for the sake of reader ease:
    The technology -- for pacemakers, insulin pumps, cochlear implants -- was developed using live animals.
    ---------------------------------------------

But that is just a theoretical observation because in fact the sentence does specify "ALL" those technologies, so the second one is correct.

Well I feel this also should be correct...

The technology used in pacemakers, insulin pumps, and cochlear implants was developed using live animals.

Out here we are referring to the same technology which is used in all the three devices, and that technology involved experimenting with live animals.

what ya say Ann?

Ann1977 is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    Well I feel this also should be correct...

The technology used in pacemakers, insulin pumps, and cochlear implants was developed using live animals.

Out here we are referring to the same technology which is used in all the three devices, and that technology involved experimenting with live animals.

what ya say Ann?

Yes, as I said, it is correct.

But it is my view that it's not reader-friendly. As an editor, I would re-punctuate it at the least.