Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: enjoy

  1. #1
    wowenglish1 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like

    enjoy

    I would like to know the meaning of the next sentence.
    You might as well enjoy your money while you’ve got it.

  2. #2
    anupumh's Avatar
    anupumh is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: enjoy

    Quote Originally Posted by wowenglish1 View Post
    I would like to know the meaning of the next sentence.
    You might as well enjoy your money while you’ve got it.
    Till the time you have the money with you, you have the option of enjoying it, spending it..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,036
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: enjoy

    Quote Originally Posted by wowenglish1 View Post
    I would like to know the meaning of the next sentence.
    You might as well enjoy your money while you’ve got it.
    It's a good idea to enjoy your money while it lasts.

    There's no reason not to enjoy your money while you've got it.

  4. #4
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    20,129
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: enjoy

    Quote Originally Posted by wowenglish1 View Post
    I would like to know the meaning of the next sentence.
    You might as well enjoy your money while you’ve got it.
    I think it means the opposite of what it says.
    It's not the money you should enjoy - it's what it can buy that you should enjoy. It's actually advising you to get rid of the money by exchanging it for pleasurable goods and services.
    If taken literally, you can enjoy your money by looking at your bank account every day and thinking how lucky you are not being poor. But I'm pretty sure that's not what it means.

  5. #5
    anupumh's Avatar
    anupumh is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: enjoy

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I think it means the opposite of what it says.
    It's not the money you should enjoy - it's what it can buy that you should enjoy. It's actually advising you to get rid of the money by exchanging it for pleasurable goods and services.
    If taken literally, you can enjoy your money by looking at your bank account every day and thinking how lucky you are not being poor. But I'm pretty sure that's not what it means.
    Money if cannot be used to spend is useless. Thus you can only enjoy money if you can utilize it. I dont think anybody will enjoy the site of money, paper notes/metal coins, if you cannot spend it on pleasurable goods and services.

  6. #6
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    20,129
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: enjoy

    Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    Money if cannot be used to spend is useless. Thus you can only enjoy money if you can utilize it. I dont think anybody will enjoy the site of money, paper notes/metal coins, if you cannot spend it on pleasurable goods and services.
    You've changed "do not" to "can not".
    Sure, if you couldn't spend it, you wouldn't enjoy it. But if you simply didn't spend it, you could enjoy it. Haven't you heard of misers who derive pleasure from counting their money but not spending it?

  7. #7
    konungursvia's Avatar
    konungursvia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,811
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: enjoy

    I think I agree with Ray, it means "spend your money and have fun, don't sit on it and die bored with a large balance left over."

  8. #8
    anupumh's Avatar
    anupumh is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: enjoy

    Yes true there some squrrels who belong to that category of penny pinchers and cheapskates

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,036
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: enjoy

    I believe the main part of the question here is the phrase "might as well", which means, "it's a good idea", "should", "why not do it?", or "let's do it?".

    We might as well go to lunch. It's 12:00.

    We might as well get going now.

    You might as well enjoy your money while you’ve got it. - You should enjoy your money. It's a good idea to spend your money and enjoy it.

Similar Threads

  1. i did enjoy the ride
    By julianna in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Aug-2009, 15:50
  2. Enjoy? stative verb? or other verb?
    By dewfull in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Oct-2008, 17:21
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Feb-2008, 11:56
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-Dec-2007, 13:39
  5. Enjoy a country ?
    By betterin in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22-Feb-2007, 06:12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •