• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

abrasive polished?

Hello Everyone,

Our company makes stainless steel products! The surface of the s.s. products have two looks. One is called mirror polished---The surface of the products is polished so smooth that the surface looks like mirror. Another look is called " abrasive polished surface " by me, namely rub the surface with abrasive paper so that the surface looks that there are several regular rings on the surface!( the regular rings looks like concentric circles )

I would like to know if the surface can be called abrasive polished surface!

Regards

Sky

Ann1977 is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: abrasive polished?

Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

Our company makes stainless steel products! The surface of the s.s. products have two looks. One is called mirror polished---The surface of the products is polished so smooth that the surface looks like mirror. Another look is called " abrasive polished surface " by me, namely rub the surface with abrasive paper so that the surface looks that there are several regular rings on the surface!( the regular rings looks like concentric circles )

Regards

Sky

Hi, Sky ~

The readers of this expression won't know what it looks like just from the verbal description (but they would know what a "mirror polish" is just by reading the words.)

However, it would seem that this cannot be helped, and that the search for a word to describe the finish so the customer can visualize it just be reading the words is hopeless. It is not a "matte" surface, for example (which the customer can visualize just by reading the word.)

Nevertheless, you do want a term to refer to this finish, whether they have to actually see a picture or not.

So you can use "abrasive-polished surface" if you like, but there should be a hyphen between "abrasive" and "polished"

Product A comes in two finishes:
    1) Mirror polish
    2) Abrasive-polished

In this case, there is no need to use the word "surface," and there may not ever be such a need. If you can, eliminate the word "surface" as unnecessary and distracting.

"Finish" would probably be a better choice than "surface" anyway.

That means that you can refer to the two choices as
    1) Mirror finish
    2) Abrasive finish <-- notice no hyphen here
    Last edited by Ann1977; 10-Oct-2009 at 06:05.

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Everyone,

Regards

Sky
    The usual terms are "mirror finish" and "satin finish".

sky753 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    The usual terms are "mirror finish" and "satin finish".
    Thank you! Satin finish is proper! But ours are a bit different that there are apparent circles penetrating into the surface, but not deep, I think only, only 1/10 mm!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! Satin finish is proper! But ours are a bit different that there are apparent circles penetrating into the surface, but not deep, I think only, only 1/10 mm!

It is my understanding from what you have written that this surface finish is not one of the standard kinds that people recognize just from the description word:
    - mirror finish
    - matte finish
    - satin finish
    - brushed finish

I understand you to say that you offer a new finish -- one that you will have to show with images for people to visualize. But even if you offer images, your product still needs a word to refer to the finish that is pictured in the images.

Is that all correct?

If so, I think "abrasion finish" or "abrasive finish" are fine. In this case, you get to make up the expression you want to use to describe something new or rare. ("abrasion" is MUCH better than "abrasive")

One concern I have is that the words "abrasion" or "abrasive" might not be pleasant. If the ss products are large, sturdy, masculine, efficient, tools, etc ... then "abrasive" or "abrasion" are fine.

If the products are delicate, light, ornamental, feminine, etc... then you might want to think of a different term for marketing purposes.

How about "coin finish"?

The disadvantage is that it may sound like a claim that the finish is the same as the finish on coins. I daresay a few words of description and an image would solve that.

The advantages of this term are
    - it is positive and pleasant
    - it picks up on the concentric circles of the finish (likening them to coins), thus making them something for your company to brag about.
    - it is gender-neutral, good for strong tools or fancy little sewing scissors

Other terms similar to "coin finish"
    - ring finish
    - circle finish
    - coined finish

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1977 View Post
    It is my understanding from what you have written that this surface finish is not one of the standard kinds that people recognize just from the description word:
    - mirror finish
    - matte finish
    - satin finish
    - brushed finish

I understand you to say that you offer a new finish -- one that you will have to show with images for people to visualize. But even if you offer images, your product still needs a word to refer to the finish that is pictured in the images.

Is that all correct?

If so, I think "abrasion finish" or "abrasive finish" are fine. In this case, you get to make up the expression you want to use to describe something new or rare. ("abrasion" is MUCH better than "abrasive")

One concern I have is that the words "abrasion" or "abrasive" might not be pleasant. If the ss products are large, sturdy, masculine, efficient, tools, etc ... then "abrasive" or "abrasion" are fine.

If the products are delicate, light, ornamental, feminine, etc... then you might want to think of a different term for marketing purposes.

How about "coin finish"?

The disadvantage is that it may sound like a claim that the finish is the same as the finish on coins. I daresay a few words of description and an image would solve that.

The advantages of this term are
    - it is positive and pleasant
    - it picks up on the concentric circles of the finish (likening them to coins), thus making them something for your company to brag about.
    - it is gender-neutral, good for strong tools or fancy little sewing scissors

Other terms similar to "coin finish"
    - ring finish
    - circle finish
    - coined finish
    Many thanks for your time! Ann

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for your time! Ann
    Coin finish is not so good, I think. I am looking for the proper word to describle the surface of the ring of the tempered glass lids for pots and pans!

Post Thanks / Like

Coin finish is not so good, I think. I am looking for the proper word to describle the surface of the ring of the tempered glass lids for pots and pans!
    Then I think "abrasion finish" would be all right.

If you can, maybe you can find an expert in advertising or marketing to give you an opinion or some suggestions.

Also, is there a link you can give us so that we can see what you are describing?

Best wishes with your products!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1977 View Post
    Then I think "abrasion finish" would be all right.

If you can, maybe you can find an expert in advertising or marketing to give you an opinion or some suggestions.

Also, is there a link you can give us so that we can see what you are describing?

Best wishes with your products!
    Please find in the link, with the name of Version TE?Tempered Glass Lids - Gal Aviv Ltd. The world's largest supplier of Glass and Cookware Covers

Post Thanks / Like

That's an excellent product line. I think I have some of your lids myself!

That's a good website too. It's user-friendly and it answers the user's questions.

I see that until now you have finessed the problem of how to describe the finish of the rings by saying only "polished." I actually think this is not a bad solution.

- My concern with "abrasive polish" is that it could be taken to mean that the finish is abrasive to other things.
    - My concern with "abrasion polish" is that "abrasion" also means a patch of skin that has been scraped off

However, since you are dealing with manufacturers and not consumers, this is not particularly a problem, I imagine.