Post Thanks / Like

Default Celta: First TP October 13th: Help

I've got my first teaching practice on October 13th and I'm really nervous.
    The topic I have to tackle is grammar (eek!); present perfect vs past simple and the duration form Despite following the assisted lesson plan sheet and timing myself I still end up finishing way before the 40 minutes are up. What to do? The students are intermediate ones.
    here is my lesson plan
    1- write We '...... ...... each other for 2 years (elicit response from students who must look for the missing words in the student's book)
    2- Explain contracted forms I've and We've with phonetic transcription
    MCQs When did they meet?
    Do they know each other now?

3- Draw timeline

4- How to form present perfect; subject+auxiliary have/has + past participle

5- Explain use

6- present perfect versus past simple: provide example sentences

7- How to form the interrogative sentence (how long have they known each other? Elicit from students)

8- drill students

10- controlled self- prepared exercise (gap- filling present perdect)

11- The duration form : When to use since and for

12 - gap -filling exercise

13 - Making conversation (students interview each other to find out if they have anything in common - filling in grid individually and then splitting into pairs and interviewing each other).

I am aware that the time will probably fly by but I'm terrified of rushing through the lesson or worse, getting carried away with some aspects tha may arise from the students questioning.
    Please help! Many thanks

Ann1977 is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Celta: First TP October 13th: Help

Quote Originally Posted by tinyteachinthemaking View Post
    I've got my first teaching practice on October 13th and I'm really nervous.
    The topic I have to tackle is grammar (eek!); present perfect vs past simple and the duration form Despite following the assisted lesson plan sheet and timing myself I still end up finishing way before the 40 minutes are up. What to do? The students are intermediate ones.
    here is my lesson plan
    1- write We '...... ...... each other for 2 years (elicit response from students who must look for the missing words in the student's book)
    2- Explain contracted forms I've and We've with phonetic transcription
    MCQs When did they meet?
    Do they know each other now?

3- Draw timeline

4- How to form present perfect; subject+auxiliary have/has + past participle

5- Explain use

6- present perfect versus past simple: provide example sentences

7- How to form the interrogative sentence (how long have they known each other? Elicit from students)

8- drill students

10- controlled self- prepared exercise (gap- filling present perdect)

11- The duration form : When to use since and for

12 - gap -filling exercise

13 - Making conversation (students interview each other to find out if they have anything in common - filling in grid individually and then splitting into pairs and interviewing each other).

I am aware that the time will probably fly by but I'm terrified of rushing through the lesson or worse, getting carried away with some aspects tha may arise from the students questioning.
    Please help! Many thanks
    Don't let your approach be "reciting the elements of the lesson plan."

Instead, have it in mind that you are going to TEACH people something.

That means that what you say is directed at them, not at the lesson plan. It means that your pace is leisurely, with plenty of pauses to let students reflect for a moment on what you have just said.

Keep the students uppermost in your mind. A successful lesson is one in which they feel "improved" -- not one where the teacher has managed to race through every word in a lesson plan. The class is not about you and it is CERTAINLY not about the lesson plan. It is only about the students.

If you have ended up making them be able to do something they could never do before, that is a successful lesson.

I can't imagine that one 40-minute period, with ample time for the students to interact with the material, could ever use even half of your planned lesson.

I think you have so much material planned that you will get in trouble by trying to fit it all in.

One thing you can do is to be aware of all the small places in your plan that would serve as natural stopping places if you run out of time. Then, when you see that you have only a few minutes left, you can bring the lesson to a graceful close no matter where you are on your plan.

Try to have fun in class and try to enjoy being with the students. Forget about yourself. Just think about only this: You are there to sincerely work with others for their benefit, to show them something they want to know.

Best wishes!
    ~ Ann

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your advice Ann.

Yes, I do realize that with an audience time will probably fly by and I mustn't beat myself up if I don't manage to fit everything in. I am there to learn how to teach after all.
    I suppose it's just performance anxiety. I have taught before, but it was in a very special circumstance: I had to tutor wayward students that couldn't care less about learning.
    I was left pretty much to my own devices and was told to do whatever was in my power to have them receive their high-school diplomas.
    Now that I'm in a situation where I'll be judged by my tutor and collegues, I do care about the outcome.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.
    Thanks again.

Ann1977 is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinyteachinthemaking View Post
    Thanks for your advice Ann.

Yes, I do realize that with an audience time will probably fly by and I mustn't beat myself up if I don't manage to fit everything in. I am there to learn how to teach after all.
    I suppose it's just performance anxiety. I have taught before, but it was in a very special circumstance: I had to tutor wayward students that couldn't care less about learning.
    I was left pretty much to my own devices and was told to do whatever was in my power to have them receive their high-school diplomas.
    Now that I'm in a situation where I'll be judged by my tutor and collegues, I do care about the outcome.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.
    Thanks again.
    Yes, please do keep us up to date. You know we are rooting for you.

You're right too to realize that it isn't a matter of "how to teach." Instead the big problem is stage fright and self-consciousness.

Anyway, good luck in forgetting all about yourself! LOL!

You are there on a "joint enterprise" to cooperate with a few other humans who want to know something that you want to show them.

Sounds like a win-win to me!

Have a great time with your students!
    ~ Ann