Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy One to One activity/game

can anyone help me to think of an activity/game that can be used in a one-to-one lesson and describe how you would use it. The level is upper-intermediate, the topic of the lesson is Traveling. Your student has fluency problems and she tends to be reluctant to speak, so think of an activity which would encourage her to do a lot of talking. (Write about 150 words)

i have tried 2 ideas but im told they were more group focused. out of 3 attempts i have one left and i really need to nail this. can any one help?

anupumh is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: One to One activity/game

Quote Originally Posted by tonyheaney View Post
    can anyone help me to think of an activity/game that can be used in a one-to-one lesson and describe how you would use it. The level is upper-intermediate, the topic of the lesson is Traveling. Your student has fluency problems and she tends to be reluctant to speak, so think of an activity which would encourage her to do a lot of talking. (Write about 150 words)

i have tried 2 ideas but im told they were more group focused. out of 3 attempts i have one left and i really need to nail this. can any one help?
    Could you share what ideas do you have in mind? Then we should be able to work together and find a suitable activity for your cause.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: One to One activity/game

The level is upper-intermediate, the topic of the lesson is Traveling.

i have to do something about the above text, so travel agent or someting?? he is already a pilot

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you do something and put it up for discussion instead of simply asking for people to spoonfeed you the answers? If you want to be a teacher, then shouldn't you engage with the learning process more? If someone gives you 150 words and you hand it in and they say it's fine, what will you walk away with?

What distinguishes this request from cheating?

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Re: One to One activity/game

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Why don't you do something and put it up for discussion instead of simply asking for people to spoonfeed you the answers? If you want to be a teacher, then shouldn't you engage with the learning process more? If someone gives you 150 words and you hand it in and they say it's fine, what will you walk away with?

What distinguishes this request from cheating?
    I really mean this but Pardon my French but WTF!!!

But distinguishes this a cry for help from a request. This is a forum that is designed to help those who are stuck and need general ideas and helpful hits, with the odd answer when needed. Everyone gets a mental block and stuck now and again itís nice to get another prospective, ever if someone offers that perspective.

Please get off this site if you canít do or offer anything constructive in fact donít even waste your time and energy answering this post or others if youíre not going to be helpful or constructive.

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

I really mean this but Pardon my French but WTF!!!

But distinguishes this a cry for help from a request. This is a forum that is designed to help those who are stuck and need general ideas and helpful hits, with the odd answer when needed. Everyone gets a mental block and stuck now and again itís nice to get another prospective, ever if someone offers that perspective.

Please get off this site if you canít do or offer anything constructive in fact donít even waste your time and energy answering this post or others if youíre not going to be helpful or constructive.
    Tony, a chara, Tdol is the owner of this site.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: One to One activity/game

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Tony, a chara, Tdol is the owner of this site.
    perhaps but i only asked for some ideas to help spark my creative juices, but i was asked not to. Many famous people have asked others for help. the A-bomb was a copied idea, every movie in history is a borrowed idea and every single idea in the history of the planet is borrowed by the next person.

all i asked for was a few ideas and i got such an ignorant answer from some one closed minded individual. if this is how he runs his site i will gladly leave and never return. this is a free world where we shear questions and answers not Nazi Germany (WW2 not today of course i have nothing against modern Germans)

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

perhaps but i only asked for some ideas to help spark my creative juices, but i was asked not to. Many famous people have asked others for help. the A-bomb was a copied idea, every movie in history is a borrowed idea and every single idea in the history of the planet is borrowed by the next person.

all i asked for was a few ideas and i got such an ignorant answer from some one closed minded individual. if this is how he runs his site i will gladly leave and never return. this is a free world where we shear questions and answers not Nazi Germany (WW2 not today of course i have nothing against modern Germans)
    I think that you should calm down a little, post us some ideas of your own, if you prefer you can send me a private message. A lot of people come to this site asking us to do their work for them, we are not paid we give what knowledge we have from a desire to help, if we do your work for you, it may help you in the short term but it will help no-one in the long term.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: One to One activity/game

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I think that you should calm down a little, post us some ideas of your own, if you prefer you can send me a private message. A lot of people come to this site asking us to do their work for them, we are not paid we give what knowledge we have from a desire to help, if we do your work for you, it may help you in the short term but it will help no-one in the long term.
    I understand and I am grateful for your advice. I also wish to convey my gratitude to the owner of this site as it is extremely useful. However if I wanted to cheat I would simple ask my father who was a headmaster for 37 years. I however want to do this on my own merits and without cheating but asking for a match to start a fire has no harm intended I only wish to keep warm.

Kahlispo is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tony

You said that you've already had 2 attempts that cameback as too group based.

From reading what you're asking for, you've been asked to describe an Activate Study Engage session for your upper intermediate student about traveling.

Can you give any information about the activate session or the study session?

Why were the other 2 attempts that you made considered as being aimed towards groupwork? Perhaps you can put those up on the forum and let other people pick their brains over them - perhaps some other opinions can help guide you where you went wrong (not wrong but misguided shall we say?) with the first 2 attempts?

A friendly piece of advice , no-one needs to go blackbelt ninja with the emoticons to prove a point. Grow up a little mate.

And whats that about Nazi Germany? Dont try and make similitudes between someone expressing an opinion that displeases you and a fascist governement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast