• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bosnian
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Default one torn crab and fire the sweetbreads." "It seems I got a little enthusiastic with

- "Get your heads out of your asses.
    We got two frisees... one torn crab
    and fire the sweetbreads.

- It seems I got a little
    enthusiastic with the coulee."

I don't understand this part "one torn crab
    and fire the sweetbreads."
    "It seems I got a little

Ann1977 is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: one torn crab and fire the sweetbreads." "It seems I got a little enthusiastic

Quote Originally Posted by Adriano_CSI View Post
    - "Get your heads out of your asses.
    We got two frisees... one torn crab
    and fire the sweetbreads.

- It seems I got a little

I don't understand this part "one torn crab
    and fire the sweetbreads."
    "It seems I got a little

I dunno about this one, Big A.

The crab and the sweetbreads are things to eat.

The "coulee" has various meaning referring to waterways, but I'll guess that here it is referring to bayou-type landforms in Louisiana,

If I HAD to guess or they'd shoot my puppy, I would say that:

A torn crab means either an edible crab that has been accidentally damaged -or- a crab that has been pulled apart (after cooking) for eating.

"fire the sweetbreads" could mean to put them on the grill or the stove to cook.

"getting enthusiastic with the coulee" might mean ?? falling in? taking out too many fish or crabs?

Can you provide more context?

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: one torn crab and fire the sweetbreads." "It seems I got a little enthusiastic

A coulis is a form of sauce that is generally made from fresh fruits that are slightly cooked and put through a blender. It is pronounced to sound like "coulee".

As so often with modern "song writers", misspelling is not uncommon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    A coulis is a form of sauce that is generally made from fresh fruits that are slightly cooked and put through a blender. It is pronounced to sound like "coulee".

As so often with modern "song writers", misspelling is not uncommon.
    Ah! So "too enthusiastic with the coulee" means "put too much sauce on the food."

Ha! I didn't know any of that. I didn't even know that this was a line from a song.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually it is more likely dialogue from a cookery show!#

But a restaurant to be avoided if it ruins the crabs, mistreats one of the most delicate of foodstuffs by burning it, and slathers everything in coulis.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually it is more likely dialogue from a cookery show!#

But a restaurant to be avoided if it ruins the crabs, mistreats one of the most delicate of foodstuffs by burning it, and slathers everything in coulis.

Sounds like good advice to me!

Adriano_CSI is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bosnian
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Now I understand the part "It seems I got a little
    enthusiastic with the coulee.""
    But how about the part "one torn crab
    and fire the sweetbreads."?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adriano_CSI View Post
    Now I understand the part "It seems I got a little
    enthusiastic with the coulee.""
    But how about the part "one torn crab
    and fire the sweetbreads."?
    It's slang -- or even a personal idiosyncrasy of speech, or a spontaneous, newly-minted expression. It's not an expression that people use, so it's hard to say what it means.

But the author knows that the reader can't understand it without a context. I'm sure the author has provided either a direct explanation right in the text, or enough context to allow the reader to get the idea.

Post Thanks / Like

It is the verbal shorthand used by the head chef to tell the sous chefs what the new orders coming into the kitchen are. The sous chefs will know what is meant by "torn crab" and "fire the sweetbreads".

Post Thanks / Like

It is the verbal shorthand used by the head chef to tell the sous chefs what the new orders coming into the kitchen are. The sous chefs will know what is meant by "torn crab" and "fire the sweetbreads".
    Here's a Wiki list of old-time diner slang. I'm doubtful about some of these terms, but I believe many were really used -- and that some may be still heard today. It is important for the staff to communicate rapidly, and the kitchen of a restaurant seems like a natural place for slang and abbreviations to spring up.
    Diner lingo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"86 the bakers" or "86 the murphies" still means "We're all out of potatoes." The chef can "86" anything, alerting the wait staff to get the customers to order something else.

Some of these terms have just come into general use, like calling coffee "java" or "joe."

My father used to claim that, since a root beer float was a scoop of ice cream in a glass of root beer, during the Depression guys with no money would order a "timber float" -- a glass of water and a toothpick.

But who knows how accurate that is. He would have heard it from his own father or grandfather -- and there never was much interest in that family tree in letting actual facts get in the way of a punchline.

I should know -- I inherited that attitude myself.