Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Question

SAMURAI Guest

Default A Question

My Question is what if your department never talk to you and you was asked to leave the school at the end of your contract but still you don't know the reason why.

what would you do?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A Question

Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI
    My Question is what if your department never talk to you and you was asked to leave the school at the end of your contract but still you don't know the reason why.

what would you do?
    I am not sure I really understand the question. You have a teaching contract and before your contract is up they are giving you the boot without any explanation? Sounds strange. Why would they do it? Do they have something on you?
    What country are we talking about? If that was in Canada you would have many ways to fight it, especially if there was no reason given to you for terminating the contract. You can't just arbitrarily breach the contract here and get away with it.
    Every country has different rules but you should know what they are before you sign anything.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends very much on the conditions, but given that it was at the end of the contract, there isn't much you can do, unless it was a rolling contract. f there is a legitimate expectency of renewal, the least they can do it provide their reasons for non-renewal, but everything depends on the labour law there. I'd submit a request for an explanation as a start.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI

what would you do?
    Hello Samurai, and welcome.

Based on your forum name (Samurai), can we assume you're in Japan? If so, then don't take the news personally. If you're not in Japan or Asia, then don't read the following.

I teach in Japan, and I facilitate courses for four educational institutes. Some of the staff speak to me, but the majority do not. They are shy, or lack confidence in their ability to communicate in English with me. I do in fact speak Japanese, though, and some teachers are aware of that, but they too do not speak to me, either. It's related to culture. In Japan it takes months before people feel comfortable enough to speak with you. It's all about their self-perceptions, so don't take it personally.

About your contract, well, that's the way it's done in Japan. Did you know that nationals (Japanese citizens) are told 3 weeks before the end of the school year whether they'll have a job come the new school year? It's true, and it's the way it's done in Japan. My contract ends in 3 weeks, and I was told only last Monday that I'd be recontracted for another year. (I also have colleagues in the same situation. One of my friends was told he would not be recontracted, and no reason was given. He is a wonderful teacher and his students and the school adore him, but budget cuts have been a big issue this year, and many educational institutes just don't have the funds. They're looking for cheaper ways to provide education, and that means, when contract renewal time comes around, they'll be cutting back on staff and looking for the cheapest deal out there.

As for not knowing the reason why, it's often the case that you're not told because it's assumed that you already know the reason: budget cuts. If you feel you've done a good job, then they too will hold that belief. If you need to know why, then I suggest you ask the person in charge. If no answer is forthcoming, they either probably don't know or they would rather not say and are trying to "save face". Look back on this as a learning experience. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

All the best, and don't take it personally.

SAMURAI Guest

Maybe I should make my Question clear. sorry

I work in a No 1 middle school in China for about 9 months now just before the winter holiday the Foreign Affairs Office told me that the department did not want me to return, I ask them what did I do wrong but no one told me.

I can't understand why because all my students love me and the local teachers get on with me very well some just say hello and others just smile I think that's mean Ok!!.

Today: 28/3/2005. I find out in the report it say's that I did not follow them (thats not ture) and I took the students out of class to a park without permission for one day with a local teacher (thats not ture I told one of the staff that I plan to do this) btw that happen last year, and I sometime's argue with the department yes I did one or two times because they just left me in the dark over my classes, I'm not going into it to much. let's just say when they try something new they tell you what to teach and when it gose wrong they blame you "Great".

The salary for me was 3,500yuan permonth and without a Degree it was 2,500yuan for a foreign teacher here in Xingtai.

Anyway I was told by other foreign teachers here that sometimes they do this and they keep you in the dark over verything, anyway my agent is now moving me to a College this month.

BTW I thank you for the reply's....
    Last edited by SAMURAI; 28-Feb-2005 at 15:25.

shane is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Samurai, I am sorry to hear about your troubles here in China. however, I have read many forums regarding teaching here in China, and your story is not uncommon. There are some real horror stories out there on the net, and not just mentioning China, either. Maybe you could try posting on this website warning others about that school. Word of mouth is very effective against a bad school, as it will cause them problems when it comes to hiring any teachers in future.

I would suggest you put it down to bad experience, and try to find something else. If you do look for something else, please, PLEASE, read the forums online first, for example the one at Dave's ESL Cafe, and check with other foreign teachers there as to which schools are good, and which ones are bad. Of course, all opinions are subjective, so choose carefully. If there is a school you are interested in, ask to be put in touch with any foreign teachers already there - if they refuse, then it's safe to say that it might not be a good idea to go with them. Find out from their foreign teachers what it's REALLY like to work there before making a commitment.

Finally; 2500 a month for a foreign teacher? Sheesh, that's LOW. You can get much more than that elsewhere. Move on!

Good luck!

Shane

SAMURAI Guest

"Shane"

Thank you.

But as for "Dave's ESL Cafe" I will leave this web site alone I join it last year and many of the Members just picked on my Grammar and started a war by picking on other's ( I must point out that I sometime's don't use grammar in my replys I hope you understand) and they all talk about how bad china is and other matters like chinese women and like S*X and so on it was just bad I did report it to the Moderators but no one listen in the end I just left and joined others it's a shame because dave build a good web site for all the teachers all over the world to share their story's of Teaching.
    Last edited by SAMURAI; 28-Feb-2005 at 16:25.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

This site has a list of schools with comments to warn teachers:
    http://www.englishschoolwatch.org/

shane is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    This site has a list of schools with comments to warn teachers:
    http://www.englishschoolwatch.org/
    Ah, THAT'S the link I was thinking of, but couldn't remember. Nice one, Tdol!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

There are other black lists, but that one seems to have lots of posts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast