• Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Default second wind/snap out of/layoff/survey/observe

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am on the right track by the interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Tom became very tired of working at his algebra, but after a while he got his second wind and began to enjoy it.
    We climbed with labored breathing for half an hour, but then got our second wind and went up more easily.
    After the first quarter mile, a mile runner usually gets his second wind and can breathe better.
    I caught my second wind in the third set.
    This coffee has given him a second wind.

second wind = restored energy or strength, enabling one to continue an activity or task (the return of relative ease of breathing after the initial exhaustion that occurs during continued physical exertion.)

Mary was unhappy when her fiance abandoned her, but she snapped out of it when she met a new young man.
    The coach told the lazy player to snap out of it.
    You've got to snap out of it.

snap out of = suddenly recover

Due to the poor economy, the car manufacturer announced a major layoff starting next month.

layoff = a systematic or periodical dismissal of employees from a factory or a firm.

The Prime Minister, in his speech at the Guildhall, surveyed the international situation.

survey = examine the general condition of

Have the house surveyed before you offer to buy it.

survey = examine the condition of (a building)

The accused man was observed to enter the home.

He observed that it had turned cloudy.

He observes keenly but says little.

observe = see and notice; watch carefully

Do they observe Christmas Day in that country?

observe = pay attention; celebrate (festivals, birthdays,anniversaries)

He observed that we should probably have rain.

observe = say by way of comment

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: second wind/snap out of/layoff/survey/observe

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am on the right track by the interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Tom became very tired of working at his algebra, but after a while he got his second wind and began to enjoy it.
    We climbed with labored breathing for half an hour, but then got our second wind and went up more easily.
    After the first quarter mile, a mile runner usually gets his second wind and can breathe better.
    I caught my second wind in the third set.
    This coffee has given him a second wind.

second wind = restored energy or strength, enabling one to continue an activity or task (the return of relative ease of breathing after the initial exhaustion that occurs during continued physical exertion.) OK, but
    the second wind, is increasingly suspected of being purely psychological; it is claimed by some to be a by-product of the confidence and pride one gains by passing one's supposed limitations. Studies have found similar results when researchers have simply offered encouragement to subjects during exercise. The players in a home field get a second wind after initial failure due to constant encourgement from the fans.

Mary was unhappy when her fiance abandoned her, but she snapped out of it when she met a new young man.
    The coach told the lazy player to snap out of it.
    You've got to snap out of it.

snap out of = suddenly recover automatically. OK
    At an indoor game one day we were warming up and all a sudden my knee snapped out of place then back in.

Due to the poor economy, the car manufacturer announced a major layoff starting next month.

layoff = a systematic or periodical dismissal of employees from a factory or a firm.

The Prime Minister, in his speech at the Guildhall, surveyed the international situation.

survey = examine the general condition of

Have the house surveyed before you offer to buy it.

survey = examine the condition of (a building)

The accused (man) was observed to enter the home. accused = accused man/person

He observed that it had turned cloudy.

He observes keenly but says little.

observe = see and notice; watch carefully

Do they observe Christmas Day in that country?

observe = pay attention; celebrate (festivals, birthdays,anniversaries)

He observed that we should probably have rain.

observe = say by way of comment

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    All are OK