Post Thanks / Like

Question Are there any standards of measuring a person whether he/she learnt english well?

Are there any standards of measuring a person whether he/she has learnt English well?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Are there any standards of measuring a person whether he/she learnt english well?

The standards are usually the recognised examinations. What sort of thing did you have in mind?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Are there any standards of measuring a person whether he/she learnt english well?

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    The standards are usually the recognised examinations. What sort of thing did you have in mind?
    Thank you,
    but there are so many English certificate exams, such as TEOFL, TOEIC, GEPT, GER, GMAT,and IELTS etc. people take them for schools or for work, what exam do you think is the most authoritative and professional to measure a person that he/she is a master of English? I don't think passsing a recognised exam is a standard but a proof,and it proofs his /her study ability.Most of the time, passing exams is one thing and real ability is another. Do you think so?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, which is why I asked what you were thinking about. There are many problems with exams. They don't simply measure ability as they do a lot to shape and affect how and what people learn. But is there a better method to assess someone's learning in as objective a way as possible so that someone who didn't speak English could employ them? Coursework is IMO a waste of time because it is a cheat's charter. Statements or testimonial's from teachers is a dangerous path as it just leads to teachers being pressured into painting a rosy picture.

With a well-run exam, the testing is at least done openly and by people who had nothing to do with the teaching under conditions that force the individual to demonstrate their knowledge. A lot does come down to people's ability to study and perform under pressure, but for all its failings, the exam system strikes me as the least worst option.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, which is why I asked what you were thinking about. There are many problems with exams. They don't simply measure ability as they do a lot to shape and affect how and what people learn. But is there a better method to assess someone's learning in as objective a way as possible so that someone who didn't speak English could employ them? Coursework is IMO a waste of time because it is a cheat's charter. Statements or testimonial's from teachers is a dangerous path as it just leads to teachers being pressured into painting a rosy picture.

With a well-run exam, the testing is at least done openly and by people who had nothing to do with the teaching under conditions that force the individual to demonstrate their knowledge. A lot does come down to people's ability to study and perform under pressure, but for all its failings, the exam system strikes me as the least worst option.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much!
    So passing the exams is not the end of the story-lifelong learning is of vital importance!