• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default please help me out with this one

'It's only tow o'clock. Christ, Piggy, how can you stand this crap.' With a wave of his arm Dancer blacked out the sight and sound of the substitute confessional that posed as daytime programming. Piggy had no idea what he was talking about and Dancer know it, but frustration got the better of him.

This is a passage from the fiction I'm reading. What bothers me is whom the underlined part is talking about. Piggy or Dancer?

(Piggy is very depressed because something really bad happened to him, so he just lies on the sofa and prentends to watch TV.)

Many thanks.

chester_100 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: please help me out with this one

Quote Originally Posted by iemmahu View Post
    'It's only tow o'clock. Christ, Piggy, how can you stand this crap.' With a wave of his arm Dancer blacked out the sight and sound of the substitute confessional that posed as daytime programming. Piggy had no idea what he was talking about and Dancer know it, but frustration got the better of him.

This is a passage from the fiction I'm reading. What bothers me is whom the underlined part is talking about. Piggy or Dancer?

(Piggy is very depressed because something really bad happened to him, so he just lies on the sofa and prentends to watch TV.)

Many thanks.
    Honestly speaking, I’m not sure what’s going there. A native teacher should decide.
    But before that we can make a guess:

There seems to be a religious program on TV. Dancer says the program is nonsense and I think he turns off the TV.

Piggy is surprised at Dancer and doesn’t understand what Dancer means, and Dancer himself knows that, but he (Dancer) loses control of himself and turns off the TV, because he is upset and annoyed. So, “him” seems to refer to Dancer.

Soup is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: please help me out with this one

Hello iemmahu

I agree with Chester.

Piggy had no idea what he, Dancer, was talking about and Dancer knew it (Dancer knew that Piggy had no idea what Dancer meant when he said, "how can you stand this crap'), but frustration got the better of him, (got the better of Dancer).

In other words, Dancer was frustrated with his friends' behavior and the reason he blacked out the TV program.