loui is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb NOVELS in ENGLISH, for English Learners

First of all, I really didn't know where to post this, so if any of you guys (mods) has any problem with it being here, you can move it at will to wherever to you think it belongs.

now to the point.

Recently, I've started reading some novels (obviously in English, duh!!), such as Emma, The Knight in Rusty Armor, The Little Prince, and some others.

Well, some of those books were okey, others not so much.
    I mean, Emma (which is considered one of the top novels of the English language, somehow , seriously why !!!) was hardly readable, I mean it didn't get interesting until like the last couple of chapters, and I used to get bored to death just of reading a couple of pages; The Knight in Rusty Armor was just one of those generic self-help motivational books (though, it wasn't that bad at all, but I was way too kiddish). the Little Prince was, well, LITTLE, it was way too short for me to actually get to enjoy it (well, that and how kiddy it was).

I've find it hard to find a book a like, mainly because I don't know much about English Literature (that and probably because I'm too picky, lol). I'm more into Neil Gaiman or Stephen King sorta booky, I like books like: "I am Legend" and "Robert A. Heinlein's Red Planet" and "Isaac Asimoc's I, Robot" (I know 2 Will Smith movies, but what do you want!!!... I mean, the dude can act)

,so obviously I like Sci-Fi, but books with too much fantasy, e.g. Harry Potter & Star Trek/Wars novels, medieval themes: "The Lord of the Ring", Overdone vampire-like stories (Twilight ), Religious-related topics A-la-Dan Brown. (IN MY DEFENSE, I've ALREADY STATED QUITE A FEW TIMES THAT I'mPICKY lol...)

Anyways, What novel would you recommend to me ? (or anyone whose first language is not English for that matter)

Some people tells me that maybe a graphic novel could help me seems I'm seeing in pictures what I'm reading, so that would probably help me understand the contest better I guess.

But my dilemma there is, aren't Graphic Novels kinda distraction with all the cartoons and stuff , or do Graphic Novels even cover mature topics whatsoever, (btw, I don't mean that typed of mature topic, LOL)

What do y'all think about a light Novel for example wouldn't that be better. (though those are Japaneses, and I think reading something related to American culture and Society would probably be better for me)

My other concern is my English Level, I really don't know what kind of stuff are good for my level of English, (probably because I really don't know what my level of English is, I only took English classes back in School, Though I did Started taking English in Elementary School, but you guys know those classes don't help that much either, I'm in College now, and I wasn't required to take English class other than The regular English class all American students are required to take, ENG Composition 101/1101 and ENG comp. 102/1102 ), so I have never taken ESL classes nor have I taken any kind of placement test.

Which English-Laguage Novel do you recommend for ESL Student, and which Novels do you guys think are "MUST-read-before-you-die" type of book?

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: NOVELS in ENGLISH, for English Learners

Quote Originally Posted by loui View Post
    First of all, I really didn't know where to post this, so if any of you guys (mods) has any problem with it being here, you can move it at will to wherever to you think it belongs.

now to the point.

Recently, I've started reading some novels (obviously in English, duh!!), such as Emma, The Knight in Rusty Armor, The Little Prince, and some others.

Well, some of those books were okey, others not so much.
    I mean, Emma (which is considered one of the top novels of the English language, somehow , seriously why !!!) was hardly readable, I mean it didn't get interesting until like the last couple of chapters, and I used to get bored to death just of reading a couple of pages; The Knight in Rusty Armor was just one of those generic self-help motivational books (though, it wasn't that bad at all, but I was way too kiddish). the Little Prince was, well, LITTLE, it was way too short for me to actually get to enjoy it (well, that and how kiddy it was).

Emma is testing you somewhat - it was written in late 18th century/early 19th century English and does require close attention. I have never thought early English novels suitable for beginning readers. The Little Prince of course is both a translation and a book aimed at children, so perhaps you have met it too late.

I've find it hard to find a book a like, mainly because I don't know much about English Literature (that and probably because I'm too picky, lol). I'm more into Neil Gaiman or Stephen King sorta booky, I like books like: "I am Legend" and "Robert A. Heinlein's Red Planet" and "Isaac Asimoc's I, Robot" (I know 2 Will Smith movies, but what do you want!!!... I mean, the dude can act)

If this is the kind of book you enjoy, then read it. Do not feel ashamed of your own preferences. There are great SciFi writers. Give Terry Pratchett a try - quirky but brilliant.

Anyways, What novel would you recommend to me ? (or anyone whose first language is not English for that matter)

There are more serious graphic books being produced, but they are not my scene so I cannot advise on specific authors/titles.

What do y'all think about a light Novel for example wouldn't that be better. (though those are Japaneses, and I think reading something related to American culture and Society would probably be better for me)

Depends on what you term a "light novel". For good, well-crafted detective stories I think Dick Francis is hard to beat, with simple language and clever plotting. Dan Brown is certainly a light read, but one of the worst writers. Look at some of the currently popular American thriller writers - some great work being done there.

My other concern is my English Level, I really don't know what kind of stuff are good for my level of English, (probably because I really don't know what my level of English is, I only took English classes back in School, Though I did Started taking English in Elementary School, but you guys know those classes don't help that much either, I'm in College now, and I wasn't required to take English class other than The regular English class all American students are required to take, ENG Composition 101/1101 and ENG comp. 102/1102 ), so I have never taken ESL classes nor have I taken any kind of placement test.

So read for your enjoyment, and remember - everything will contribute to greater facility in your English. It might be interesting to try some of the American books for teenagers like S.E. Hinton. Reading these will give you better insight into the younger American's world.

Which English-Laguage Novel do you recommend for ESL Student, and which Novels do you guys think are "MUST-read-before-you-die" type of book?It may be that you could start lo

Ah now that is a whole new ballpark. The great classics are essential for a good depth in education, but are not to everyone's liking, and as you are in the US, perhaps it is the American classics you should be reading, such as Mark Twain, Hemingway, Fitzgerald. It may be that it is time to look at some non-fiction as well, such as Darwin, Dawkins, Attenborough, Oliver Sacks.