melon8 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with teaching comparatives without explaining grammar.

Hi,

I'm currently in my final year at University and although I am studying English Language and Lingustics, I have chosen a few TESOL modules.

For one of them (called Practice in Language Teaching), I have to produce a 5-minute presentation on teaching comparatives to students learning English, but looking at the meaning aspect by next Tuesday 20th Oct 09.

I've been told that:

- I must avoid introductions "Today, we're going to talk about.."
    - No explanations on grammar, jargon..

So far, my partner has planned that if we have a gap-fill exercises with pictures, it would work. I'm very unsure if it would and in a position where I have no clue on how to convey meaning when teaching grammar.

Does anyone know? :S

If you do or have a few ideas how, that would be great!

Thanks for your time.

albeit is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help with teaching comparatives without explaining grammar.

Quote Originally Posted by melon8 View Post
    Hi,

I'm currently in my final year at University and although I am studying English Language and Lingustics, I have chosen a few TESOL modules.

For one of them (called Practice in Language Teaching), I have to produce a 5-minute presentation on teaching comparatives to students learning English, but looking at the meaning aspect by next Tuesday 20th Oct 09.

I've been told that:

- I must avoid introductions "Today, we're going to talk about.."
    - No explanations on grammar, jargon..

So far, my partner has planned that if we have a gap-fill exercises with pictures, it would work. I'm very unsure if it would and in a position where I have no clue on how to convey meaning when teaching grammar.

Does anyone know? :S

If you do or have a few ideas how, that would be great!

Thanks for your time.
    You're a native speaker, you have a partner, a blackboard/whiteboard I presume. How would you do this with native children, ... with full and rich context, with real life, which means real objects.

On the blackboard put some items, drawn or tangible things like colored magnets. The items drawn on the board, squares/circles/ovals/asterisks/etc can be lettered to differentiate them.

Bring in real things, not pictures.

high - low

big - small

dark - light

Model these words, with gestures and appropriate voice - BIG small

Which is bigger/smaller/higher/lower/darker/lighter, A or a/B or b/ C or c/...?

If you want to model yourselves as beginner language learners, allow and illustrate that pointing is the first level of communication, that comprehension comes before language production;

Teacher: Which is bigger, [teacher points] or [teacher points]?

Student: [points to the bigger item]

Start off slowly and build in logical, easy to understand increments. Add language "complexity" as it is needed, as the situation warrants, as the "students" progress from comprehension to full language proiduction.

Use simple signs that illustrate without explanation what is being used, example, when the question, "Which is __er, {__} or {__}?, is being formed, hold up a sign with a big question mark on it.

Context, context, context.

melon8 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help with teaching comparatives without explaining grammar.

Thanks, Albeit. I'll try those out.