Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    danpjohnson is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Is the Harvard Grad correct? I need help identifying an adjective.

    need help identifying adjective in these sentences
    1. "His sons were known as the White House Gang."
    2. "He rode with the Rough Riders Calvary."

    In sentence #1, I say the adjective is "His", however a Harvard graduate disagrees and says the adjective is "White". I disagree, white doesn't really describe house in this context. What is the correct answer?


    In sentence #2, I say the adjective is "Rough Riders", however a Harvard graduate disagrees and says the adjective is "Rough". I disagree, rough doesn't really describe riders in this context. What is the correct answer?

  2. #2
    albeit is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    422
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is the Harvard Grad correct? I need help identifying an adjective.

    Quote Originally Posted by danpjohnson View Post
    need help identifying adjective in these sentences
    1. "His sons were known as the White House Gang."

    In sentence #1, I say the adjective is "His", however a Harvard graduate disagrees and says the adjective is "White". I disagree, white doesn't really describe house in this context. What is the correct answer?

    'White' is not an adjective; 'White House' is a compound noun. The intonation is different on 'a white house' and 'White House'.

    Traditional grammar calls 'his/her/their/etc possessive adjectives.



    2. "He rode with the Rough Riders Calvary."

    In sentence #2, I say the adjective is "Rough Riders", however a Harvard graduate disagrees and says the adjective is "Rough". I disagree, rough doesn't really describe riders in this context. What is the correct answer?
    'Rough Riders' is also a compound noun, here used as an adjective to describe which Calvary.

  3. #3
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    20,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is the Harvard Grad correct? I need help identifying an adjective.

    Quote Originally Posted by danpjohnson View Post
    need help identifying adjective in these sentences
    1. "His sons were known as the White House Gang."
    2. "He rode with the Rough Riders Calvary."

    In sentence #1, I say the adjective is "His", however a Harvard graduate disagrees and says the adjective is "White". I disagree, white doesn't really describe house in this context. What is the correct answer?


    In sentence #2, I say the adjective is "Rough Riders", however a Harvard graduate disagrees and says the adjective is "Rough". I disagree, rough doesn't really describe riders in this context. What is the correct answer?
    "His" is a possessive adjective, and "White House" is a compound adjective, as is "Rough Riders".

  4. #4
    albeit is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    422
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is the Harvard Grad correct? I need help identifying an adjective.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    and "White House" is a compound adjective, ... .
    I stand corrected.

  5. #5
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    20,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is the Harvard Grad correct? I need help identifying an adjective.

    Quote Originally Posted by albeit View Post
    I stand corrected.
    I wasn't disagreeing with you here. By compound adjective, I mean a compound noun used as an adjective. The reason I posted was to point out that "White House" and "Rough Riders" were acting the same way here.

  6. #6
    albeit is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    422
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is the Harvard Grad correct? I need help identifying an adjective.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    ... The reason I posted was to point out that "White House" and "Rough Riders" were acting the same way here.
    And in my post I failed to note that about "White House", Raymott, so it was fair of you to point that out.

Similar Threads

  1. Confused between Don't and doesn't
    By MariaElena Shetler in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15-Mar-2007, 23:36
  2. Correct interpretation using adjective clause
    By gorikaz in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-Nov-2006, 20:12
  3. Please correct
    By esophea in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Jan-2006, 06:16
  4. Are All IELTS Answers Correct?
    By artast in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-Aug-2005, 01:46
  5. identifying the correct tense & the reason why
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Jul-2004, 12:49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •