• Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default worth every

9999.1 Which is correct:
    1- I am a journalist and I do make quite a few enemies by uncovering secrets people have to know about. I have to say the exicitement of finding and speaking the truth is worth every insult coming my way.

2- I am a journalist and I do make quite a few enemies by uncovering secrets people have to know about. I have to say the exicitement of finding and speaking the truth is worth all the insults coming my way.

3- I am a journalist and I do make quite a few enemies by uncovering secrets people have to know about. I have to say the exicitement of finding and speaking the truth is worth the pain caused by all the insults coming my way.
    My problem with number 1 is that it seems to take the 'insults' individually. Shouldn't it be 'every insult coming my way put together'?

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: worth every

1. is correct, as are 2 and 3.
    "every insult coming my way" assumes that you have to cope with all of them.

navi tasan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot Raymott,
    How about these ones (I have just added 'put together at the end of each sentence):

1a- I am a journalist and I do make quite a few enemies by uncovering secrets people have to know about. I have to say the exicitement of finding and speaking the truth is worth every insult coming my way put together.

2a- I am a journalist and I do make quite a few enemies by uncovering secrets people have to know about. I have to say the exicitement of finding and speaking the truth is worth all the insults coming my way put together.

3a- I am a journalist and I do make quite a few enemies by uncovering secrets people have to know about. I have to say the exicitement of finding and speaking the truth is worth the pain caused by all the insults coming my way put together.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by navi tasan View Post
    Thanks a lot Raymott,
    How about these ones (I have just added 'put together at the end of each sentence):

1a- I am a journalist and I do make quite a few enemies by uncovering secrets people have to know about. I have to say the exicitement of finding and speaking the truth is worth every insult coming my way put together.

2a- I am a journalist and I do make quite a few enemies by uncovering secrets people have to know about. I have to say the exicitement of finding and speaking the truth is worth all the insults coming my way put together.

3a- I am a journalist and I do make quite a few enemies by uncovering secrets people have to know about. I have to say the exicitement of finding and speaking the truth is worth the pain caused by all the insults coming my way put together.
    No, you don't need "put together". If it is worth all the insults coming your way, then it doesn't matter whether they come one at a time or all together, it's still worth it. "Put together" adds nothing to what you've said.