aridvd is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Please, could you chech this Essay

It has been said, “Not everything that is learned is contained in books”. Compare and contrast knowledge gained from experiences with knowledge gained from books. In your opinion, which source is more important? Why?

Books teach us many things, but they aren’t the only knowledge source of our life. I think, life experiences are more value than books.
    Many books teach us experiences that are belonged to other people, which of course are important. But we can’t learn anything, if we don’t test it by ourselves.
    As childhood, when we are in school, we learn a lot of facts and information from books, but these aren’t all we learn at school. We also learn how to make friends, how to deal with them, and how to speak with them. In class, we learn the meaning of success and fail. All these things are valuable.
    As youth, when we are in university, we learn information that is useful for our careers in future. But we also learn things don’t exist in books. For example, we learn how to make decisions for ourselves. We learn to take on responsibilities. We learn skills that no book can teach us.
    As adulthood, we might take some courses that help our professionals. However, our experiences at work, at home, and with our friends teach us more.
    Although, learning from books goes parallel with our life, but we need to combine it with life experiences to make our life better. So you can read books but you have to value every moment in your life with other people.

Ann1977 is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Please, could you chech this Essay

Well done. Cleverly laid out, intelligent and judicious.
    Very mice work.

It has been said, “Not everything that is learned is contained in books”. Compare and contrast knowledge gained from experiences with knowledge gained from books. In your opinion, which source is more important? Why?

Books teach us many things, but they aren’t the only knowledge source of our life.
    Books teach us many things, but they aren't the only source of knowledge in our lives.

I think, life experiences are more value than books.

In many ways, what we learn from life is more valuable than what we learn from books.

Many books teach us experiences that are belonged to other people, which of course are important. But we can’t learn anything, if we don’t test it by ourselves.
    What books teach is the experience of other people. But we can't make this information our own until we experience it ourselves.

As childhood, when we are in school, we learn a lot of facts and information from books, but these aren’t all we learn at school.
    As schoolchildren, we learn facts from books, but this is not all we learn from school.

We also learn how to make friends, how to deal with them, and how to speak with them. In class, we learn the meaning of success and fail. All these things are valuable.

We also learn about other people and our relationships with them, about interacting with others and making friends.

As youth, when we are in university, we learn information that is useful for our careers in future. But we also learn things don’t exist in books.
    As youths in university, we learn the information that is required for our future careers. But we also learn skills that no book can teach us.

For example, we learn how to make decisions for ourselves. We learn to take on responsibilities. We learn skills that no book can teach us.

We learn to make decisions for ourselves and to take on responsibility.

As adulthood, we might take some courses that help our professionals.
    In adulthood, we might continue to learn from books certain kinds of information important to our professions.

However, our experiences at work, at home, and with our friends teach us more.

But our professional experience teaches us more.

Although, learning from books goes parallel with our life, but we need to combine it with life experiences to make our life better. So you can read books but you have to value every moment in your life with other people.
    Books are the priceless treasury of the human race, an endless source of the best ideas of the best minds that have ever lived. Learning from books runs parallel to our lives, but it is our experience with others -- at home or at work, at school or with friends -- that brings it to life.

aridvd is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you very much, Sir

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aridvd View Post
    thank you very much, Sir

You are welcome.

Please feel free to post more of these fine essays whenever you choose.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aridvd View Post

Books teach us many things, but they aren’t the only knowledge source of our life. I think, life experiences are more value than books.
    As childhood, when we are in school, we learn a lot of facts and information from books, but these aren’t all we learn at school. We also learn how to make friends, how to deal with them, and how to speak with them. In class, we learn the meaning of success and fail. All these things are valuable.
    As youth, when we are in university, we learn information that is useful for our careers in future. But we also learn things don’t exist in books. For example, we learn how to make decisions for ourselves. We learn to take on responsibilities. We learn skills that no book can teach us.
    As adulthood, we might take some courses that help our professionals. However, our experiences at work, at home, and with our friends teach us more.
    I won't make detailed notes, since Ann has done that.
    I believe you have made an error that is very common - equivocation, being non-committal, trying to please everyone, making vague 'motherhood statements'.
    "In your opinion, which source is more important?"
    I don't believe you've answered the question. This will probably lose you marks.

Now that you've you've finished the essay and don't have to worry about form etc, Do you think knowledge gained from books is more important than knowledge gained from life-experiences?
    Last edited by Raymott; 26-Oct-2009 at 19:52.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I won't make detailed notes, since Ann has done that.
    I believe you have made an error that is very common - equivocation, being non-committal, trying to please everyone, making vague 'motherhood statements'.
    "In your opinion, which source is more important?"
    I don't believe you've answered the question. This will probably lose you marks.

Now that you've you've finished the essay and don't have to worry about form etc, Do you think knowledge gained from books is more important than knowledge gained from life-experiences?

I won't
    Ray, the students have a textbook that is misinforming them about the function of the last paragraph. It is apparently telling them that the last paragraph should temporize, or acknowledge the opposing view, or look at the issue from all sides, or something.

Whatever it's telling them, it is responsible for the weakness of the final paragraphs we see here -- they say, "I don't really know" or "I don't have an opinion" or "It's up to you."

Some of them even use the final paragraph to completely contradict their own thesis.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1977 View Post
    Ray, the students have a textbook that is misinforming them about the function of the last paragraph. It is apparently telling them that the last paragraph should temporize, or acknowledge the opposing view, or look at the issue from all sides, or something.

Whatever it's telling them, it is responsible for the weakness of the final paragraphs we see here -- they say, "I don't really know" or "I don't have an opinion" or "It's up to you."

Some of them even use the final paragraph to completely contradict their own thesis.
    If that is how these essays are marked, then it probably doesn't matter.
    If it's not, then it does, and we should be advising them of that.

Last of all, it's also good not to advise students, In summary then, it should be important but not too important, and advice can sometimes discourage or encourage students.

Post Thanks / Like

If that is how these essays are marked, then it probably doesn't matter.
    If it's not, then it does, and we should be advising them of that.

Last of all, it's also good not to advise students, In summary then, it should be important but not too important, and advice can sometimes discourage or encourage students.
    LOL! Yes, exactly!!

LMAO!!

Damn, I wish I could be witty like that.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1977 View Post
    Damn, I wish I could be witty like that.
    It's a curse!

Post Thanks / Like

It's a curse!
    Only if you're a character in a Peter De Vries novel.

One of his characters was such a compulsive jokester that his wife left him.