Post Thanks / Like

I'll be glad to help ESL teachers in China

If you're an ESL teacher working in China, and are wondering why Chinese ESL students make some bizarre mistakes that are way beyond your experience and imagination, I'll be here to help you.

I am a Chinese-Canadian. I have good command of English, and know well about how Chinese language and culture may influence ESL learnings in negative ways.

dog lover is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'll be glad to help ESL teachers in China

Hi! I can certainly use some pointers to help me! thanks for the offer.

I am in my fourth year of teaching at a Chinese boarding high school. I teach 3 different levels: pre-intermediate, intermediate, and foundation (preparing for the IELTS exam and then university at Sussex). I am doing okay at finding ideas to involve the entire class (I cannot break them into groups as they only speak Chinese when I do this, no matter how much language and scaffolding I give them--they revert to MT always). My pre-intermediate and intermediate classes have about 24 students each.

What I'm having trouble with is the students who continue to talk when other students are trying to talk (and no, they are not practicing English with their neighbor). Should I excuse them with a worksheet to do (pertaining to the lesson) to be completed and turned in to me when they are ready to rejoin the class? Any ideas to keep the kids quiet so we can continue the lesson would be appreciated! I don't want to send them to the hall because I'm afraid that's too easy for them. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog lover View Post

What I'm having trouble with is the students who continue to talk when other students are trying to talk (and no, they are not practicing English with their neighbor). Should I excuse them with a worksheet to do (pertaining to the lesson) to be completed and turned in to me when they are ready to rejoin the class? Any ideas to keep the kids quiet so we can continue the lesson would be appreciated! I don't want to send them to the hall because I'm afraid that's too easy for them. Any ideas?
    Let me try to analyze this trouble.

In China most resources are limited. That means an individual often need to compete with other to gain some resource. The chance or speaking in the classes is a sort of resource, because it helps improve their English.

In your English teaching settings, the students who try to continue to talk might be those who have better English ability than others, and perhaps they were educated by their parents not to share, but to "strive for" opportunities to speak in the classes.

I think the solutions consists of two parts: The idea of "sharing" and "Time-out". You have to set some rules and enforce the rules with a stopwatch.

Maybe I entirely misunderstood your question. If this is the case, please check the next post.
    Last edited by BonaVista; 30-Sep-2009 at 23:18.

Post Thanks / Like

If a student keeps talking with his neighbours about something that is totally irrelevant to the English class, I think you may need some methods to gain order quickly and firmly.

On way is that you can design a special gesture (for example, a variant of "V" gesture that most Chinese like to pose when their pictures are taken), let the students learn to make the gesture. You then seriously tell them, when you use this gesture, you want to regain the order, and you want everyone to demonstrate the same gesture and be quiet right away. And let them check with one another and find who is till talking and fails to show the gesture.

You have to be very demanding when enforcing it. If it takes more than 3 seconds to regain the order, then it is a failure.

If I failed to answer your question again, please rephrase your question. Hopefully my posts help a little bit.
    Last edited by BonaVista; 30-Sep-2009 at 23:23.

dog lover is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that is it exactly: they are talking in class with their neighbor about something totally irrelevant to class. After the long October 1st holiday they were especially talkative--about everything except what we were doing in class!

I like the "V" for victory sign (similar to what we do in girl scouts!) but what's the consequence if they don't notice after 3 seconds? And if it has to be repeated continuously? I'm all for doing the "sign" but I still think there needs to be some sort of consequence when, like you said, it becomes a failure.

keep the great suggestions coming ...

noshin is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi .Thanks for massage . I'm iranian . could you help me to learn english?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that is it exactly: they are talking in class with their neighbor about something totally irrelevant to class. After the long October 1st holiday they were especially talkative--about everything except what we were doing in class!

I like the "V" for victory sign (similar to what we do in girl scouts!) but what's the consequence if they don't notice after 3 seconds? And if it has to be repeated continuously? I'm all for doing the "sign" but I still think there needs to be some sort of consequence when, like you said, it becomes a failure.

keep the great suggestions coming ...
    As I can remember when I was going to school in China, there were always a few teachers who knew how to keep order in the class. And there were also some other teachers who were so "friendly" that no students "feared" them and it was hard for them to keep order.

I guess it is time you learned some skills from other teachers in the school. And you may need to let the students know that sometimes you're really "angry" of their behaviours.

When I was going to school in China, a whole class was devided into four groups. And we had "merit points" for each group. Then there was a competition throughout the whole term. If a group member failed to behave very well, some points of the whole group would be deducted. So you know what would happen next. If a student was found talking on the class, then the group lead and all the group members would be mad at him. I think you can get your own idea how to reward the group of the highest score in the middle and the end of the term.