• Native Language:
      • Occitan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Question some complications use of 'have had' etc

i have some complications in english, the one is the use of "have had", i have been seeing it's use widely in UK, can we use a formal or proper tense instead of have had? i think we can use 'have been' or 'we have to' depends of use. i have also noticed the use of had had, i can't understand these types of sentences grammatically, e.g, " I am sure if he hadn't had a teacher waiting he would have stayed much longer", i think there would be a simple alternative sentence for this sentence, like we "if he had a teacher not waiting there....." or "if he had not been waiting by the teacher he........."
    are there 'have had' and 'had had' only or 'had have' and 'have have' also exist? if yes then can some one explain it's usage with refernce to grammar. Thanks for reading this and Thanks a lot for pointing my mistakes.
    Last edited by hznaeem; 21-Oct-2009 at 05:09.

svartnik is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: some complications use of 'have had' etc

Quote Originally Posted by hznaeem View Post
    i have some complications in english, the one is the use of "have had", i have been seeing it's use widely in UK, can we use a formal or proper tense instead of have had? i think we can use 'have been' or 'we have to' depends of use. i have also noticed the use of had had, i can't understand these types of sentences grammatically, e.g, " I am sure if he hadn't had a teacher waiting he would have stayed much longer", i think there would be a simple alternative sentence for this sentence, like we "if he had a teacher not waiting there....." or "if he had not been waiting by the teacher he........."
    are there 'have had' and 'had had' only or 'had have' and 'have have' also exist? if yes then can some one explain it's usage with refernce to grammar. Thanks for reading this and Thanks a lot for pointing my mistakes.
    'have had' is present perfect tense (have + 3rd form). have is the auxiliary verb, and had is the past participle form of the main verb. 'have been', 'have liked', 'have done' - same story.

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

"Had had" is past perfect. "If I had a hammer, I would put a nail in the wall" this is a present tense conditional, if I had (possessed) the hammer right now I would use it now. "If I had had a hammer, I would have put a nail in the wall" this is a past tense conditional, if I had had (possessed) the hammer in the past, I would have already used it.

hznaeem is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Occitan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: some complications use of 'have had' etc

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    "Had had" is past perfect. "If I had a hammer, I would put a nail in the wall" this is a present tense conditional, if I had (possessed) the hammer right now I would use it now. "If I had had a hammer, I would have put a nail in the wall" this is a past tense conditional, if I had had (possessed) the hammer in the past, I would have already used it.
    But once during in a conversation with an english person he said "your car is so fast, if i had that car i would have done more deliveries on that"
    as mentioned by you for the past work it should be 'had had' but the above sentence is using only one 'had' although it is in past tense. Can you clarify?

and in your explanation with reference to grammar it's looking that 'had have' and 'have have' don't exist.

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

But once during in a conversation with an english person he said "your car is so fast, if i had that car i would have done more deliveries on that"
    as mentioned by you for the past work it should be 'had had' but the above sentence is using only one 'had' although it is in past tense. Can you clarify?

and in your explanation with reference to grammar it's looking that 'had have' and 'have have' don't exist.
    The English person made a mistake, native speakers often do. Yes, you are right, "had have" and "have have" don't exist.