Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: proverbs

  1. #1
    elinor Guest

    Default proverbs

    1.Everyone's friend is no one's friend.(Italian proverb)
    2.Cooked at one stirring makes friends too easily.(Chinese proverb)
    3.Friends are made in wine and proven in tears.(German proverb)
    4.When husband and wife agree ,they will be able to dry up the oceans with buckets.(Vietnamese proverb)
    5.To those we love best,we say the least.(Filipino proverb)


    Do you know the origin of these proverbs and their true meanings?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    727
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: proverbs

    2 - Goes back a while "vino et veritas" - the truth is in the wine.

  3. #3
    elinor Guest

    Default Re: proverbs

    Quote Originally Posted by twostep
    2 - Goes back a while "vino et veritas" - the truth is in the wine.

    twostep, thank you. But I still don't understand the meaning "the truth is in the wine." Would you please explain it more? Thanks.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    727
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: proverbs

    Quote Originally Posted by elinor
    twostep, thank you. But I still don't understand the meaning "the truth is in the wine." Would you please explain it more? Thanks.
    A drunk will speak the truth.

  5. #5
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,087
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: proverbs

    Everyone's friend is no one's friend.(Italian proverb)

    Someone who wants to be friends with everybody is out for themselves- iof you are friends with someone, you will have to take sides sometimes.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: proverbs

    Quote Originally Posted by elinor
    1.Everyone's friend is no one's friend.(Italian proverb)
    2.Cooked at one stirring makes friends too easily.(Chinese proverb)
    3.Friends are made in wine and proven in tears.(German proverb)
    4.When husband and wife agree ,they will be able to dry up the oceans with buckets.(Vietnamese proverb)
    5.To those we love best,we say the least.(Filipino proverb)


    Do you know the origin of these proverbs and their true meanings?

    Thanks.
    I am not familiar with foreign proverbs but I will take a crack at #3:

    Friends are made in wine and proven in tears.

    I think it's easy to make friends with everyone after you had a few drinks. When you are drunk you are on buddy terms with everyone around you. But those are just "drinking" friends and usually good only when you are having a good time. Real friends, however, are those that will stand by you in good as well as in bad times (bad times=tears).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: proverbs

    5.To those we love best,we say the least.(Filipino proverb)

    I am wondering about #5.

    I can have 2 different interpretations for #5.

    One would be equivalent to our saying "you hurt most the ones you love best". Therefore silence might have a negative connotation here.

    On the other hand, when there is true love and friendship between people, silence becomes very comfortable because there is a total understanding of the other person without saying a word.

    It might be far fetched but I can't think of anything else...

  8. #8
    elinor Guest

    Default Re: proverbs

    Thank you all. You really helped me a lot.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: proverbs

    Quote Originally Posted by elinor
    Thank you all. You really helped me a lot.
    Welcome!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: proverbs

    for the # 4:
    (Vietnamese proverb: Good understanding between spouses could help to solve any problem, even drying the Ocean).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The most popular idioms or proverbs
    By bmo in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 10-Aug-2004, 18:03
  2. why do we need to use idioms and proverbs
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-Jul-2004, 14:56
  3. collocations, proverbs
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-May-2004, 12:21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •