Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Malagasy
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 165
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    self management, leisure versus break

    hello,

    is there self management in english? is it like personal timetable? i am working on a timetable for a training programme for youth. there is a slot where these trainees are to take a bath, dress up, etc.
    another one is should i put leisure instead of break in the timetable?

    thanks.


    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,131
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: self management, leisure versus break

    Quote Originally Posted by sebayanpendam View Post
    hello,

    is there self management in english? is it like personal timetable? i am working on a timetable for a training programme for youth. there is a slot where these trainees are to take a bath, dress up, etc.
    another one is should i put leisure instead of break in the timetable?

    thanks.
    Here is a blog that uses the expression "self-management timetable" in exactly the way you are thinking of.
    ICT WorkGroup
    The phrase is perfectly clear and understandable.

    I would choose "break" or "leisure" depending on the amount of time involved.

    - I would use "break" for short periods, times when the activity stops (to provide a rest, or to allow moving to another activity), but which is not long enough to do something else. So there is a break between classes, but students are not "at leisure" because the interval is too short to start a new activity.

    - I would use "leisure" or "at leisure" to refer to a longer period of unscheduled time, long enough to do some activity of one's choice -- read, bicycle, do laundry or chores, play sports, sleep, write letters, etc.

    That means that you might use both words for different times in the same day:

    8:00 - Breakfast
    8:30 - Clean the area
    9:00 - First classroom instruction period
    9:55 - Break between classes
    10:00 - Second classroom instruction period
    12:00 - Lunch
    1:00 - Afternoon at leisure
    5:00 - Dinner

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Malagasy
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 165
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: self management, leisure versus break

    i see, but would it be okay if i put it in the timetable as one of the slot?

    7.00 - 8.00 - self management
    8.00 - 8.30 - breakfast
    8.30 - 10.45 - workshop
    10-45 - 11.00 - brunch
    11.00 - 12.00 - workshop

    what i mean by 'self management' is it is a time when trainees are preparing themselves up such as taking a bath, dressing up, etc before attending the workshop.

    thanks


    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,131
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: self management, leisure versus break

    Quote Originally Posted by sebayanpendam View Post
    i see, but would it be okay if i put it in the timetable as one of the slot?

    7.00 - 8.00 - self management
    8.00 - 8.30 - breakfast
    8.30 - 10.45 - workshop
    10-45 - 11.00 - brunch
    11.00 - 12.00 - workshop

    what i mean by 'self management' is it is a time when trainees are preparing themselves up such as taking a bath, dressing up, etc before attending the workshop.

    thanks
    Oh, I see.

    Well, maybe "self-management" is too grand a term for these little daily rituals.

    How about "Personal care"?

    or just work around the problem, like this:

    07:00 - Wake up call
    08:00 - Breakfast
    08:30 - Workshop
    10:45 - Brunch
    11:00 - Workshop
    12:00 - Lunch

    There would be little doubt about what they needed that hour for. If they intend to wash and dress ever during the day -- it would have to be then.

    Another thing you can do is to post this question in the Forum again, to see if you can get some additional ideas.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Malagasy
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 165
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: self management, leisure versus break

    Thanks again.

    I do think so too. My boss keeps insisting me to include 'self management in the timetable. It does sound too grand. i feel the timetable should do okay without the slot. if i put it there it'll sound funny... i'm stuck.


    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,131
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: self management, leisure versus break

    Quote Originally Posted by sebayanpendam View Post
    Thanks again.

    I do think so too. My boss keeps insisting me to include 'self management in the timetable. It does sound too grand. i feel the timetable should do okay without the slot. if i put it there it'll sound funny... i'm stuck.

    Oh well. When bosses start insisting, it's time to fold 'em.

    Anyway, maybe it will be good for the morale of the trainees to think that putting on their pants is "self management."

    I hope it impresses them to be taken so seriously! LOL!

    Best wishes with your project.
    ~ Ann

Similar Threads

  1. Break the Bank
    By phorntita in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-May-2009, 20:49
  2. great request - CV
    By Martin:) in forum CVs, Resumes and Applications
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14-Aug-2008, 21:06
  3. break up, break down
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Apr-2008, 09:11
  4. the meaning of break and crack
    By XINLAI-UE in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Mar-2008, 18:53
  5. please review my sop... please
    By Unregistered in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 14-Dec-2006, 05:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •