• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default alone and lonely

Does 'She feels aone' mean the same thing as 'She feels lonely'?

Could I ask native speakers to help me please? Thank you in advance.

Ann1977 is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: alone and lonely

Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    Does 'She feels aone' mean the same thing as 'She feels lonely'?

"Feeling alone" might be used to mean much the same thing as "feeling lonely," but there is no necessity for them to mean the same thing.

"Feeling alone" is an objective statement of the number of persons present, a count.

"Feeling lonely" is a report on an emotional state of mind.

But even so, in ordinary language, "feeling alone" (ESPECIALLY when used with the emotion word "feeling") can be used to highlight the emotion of feeling lonely.

"She was alone" in no way forces the imputation of any particular emotional attitude toward this circumstance. She could be delighted and relieved to be alone at last. But it "allows" the implication of "loneliness," especially when bolstered with context.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    Does 'She feels alone' mean the same thing as 'She feels lonely'?

If you use "feel" with "alone", then, yes, "feels alone" means the same thing as "lonely". However, "alone" does not have to mean the same thing as "lonely". It depends on how you use the word "alone".

He took a walk to the lake to go fishing. He likes to spend some time alone once in a while. - This doesn't mean he is lonely, just that he is by himself or unaccompanied.

He was feeling lonely so he asked his friend to come down and spend some time fishing with him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    If you use "feel" with "alone", then, yes, "feels alone" means the same thing as "lonely". However, "alone" does not have to mean the same thing as "lonely". It depends on how you use the word "alone".

He took a walk to the lake to go fishing. He likes to spend some time alone once in a while. - This doesn't mean he is lonely, just that he is by himself or unaccompanied.

He was feeling lonely so he asked his friend to come down and spend some time fishing with him.
    "She had one child on her hip and two clutching her skirts all the time. She had three clinging dogs as well, who followed her everywhere. She spent her days wading through short, adoring life forms. So when she closed the door for her hot bath at night, she reveled in her solitude and enjoyed feeling alone."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1977 View Post
    "She had one child on her hip and two clutching her skirts all the time. She had three clinging dogs as well, who followed her everywhere. She spent her days wading through short, adoring life forms. So when she closed the door for her hot bath at night, she reveled in her solitude and enjoyed feeling alone."
    That's a good example. One never knows what to expect from language sometimes, which is why it's not always easy to be entirely thorough when dealing with vocabulary.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good example. One never knows what to expect from language sometimes, which is why it's not always easy to be entirely thorough when dealing with vocabulary.
    It's a staggering feat.

Really little kids can instantly make language not only say something the child has never heard, but even do tricks.

I think we have more and better control over language than we do over our bodies. Everyone in the world can speak better than Fred Astaire could dance -- and with less rehearsal.

On the other hand, you can learn to ride a bike in an afternoon. And I suppose you wouldn't fall off as often as you make slips of the tongue ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1977 View Post
    It's a staggering feat.

Really little kids can instantly make language not only say something the child has never heard, but even do tricks.

I think we have more and better control over language than we do over our bodies. Everyone in the world can speak better than Fred Astaire could dance -- and with less rehearsal.

On the other hand, you can learn to ride a bike in an afternoon. And I suppose you wouldn't fall off as often as you make slips of the tongue ...
    I think many people don't take advantage of the fact that we do have some control, at least, over our bodies. The fact that many people don't recognize this, or do recognize this but don't act on it, is a sign of how dysfunctional societies, communities, and people really are. Have another donut? Wan' 'nother coke? Why do so many supermarket items have sugar in the ingredients? It's not necessary. It's insane.

We have greater control over our language if we feed the mind with more of it (more language that is) and if we practice it enough so that we say things without coming off as mealy-mouthed word mincers afraid of losing the "money". Money keeps us in check, and if it does not, then the next step is checkmate, and no one wants checkmate.

Last edited by PROESL; 22-Oct-2009 at 22:48.

Post Thanks / Like

I think many people don't take advantage of the fact that we do have some control, at least, over our bodies. The fact that many people don't recognize this, or do recognize this but don't act on it, is a sign of how dysfunctional societies, communities, and people really are. Have another donut? Wan' 'nother coke? Why do so many supermarket items have sugar in the ingredients? It's not necessary. It's insane.

We have greater control over our language if we feed the mind with more of it and if we practice it enough so that we say things without coming off as mealy-mouthed word mincers afraid of losing the "money". Money keeps us in check, and if it does not, then the next step is checkmate, and no one wants checkmate.

But even to be able to draw upon thousands of words, all interactively altering their significance by their context, in order to perform a mean feat like being mealy-mouthed -- even that is an amazing stunt.

The smartest dog that ever lived can't say as much as "I'll do it tomorrow."

We can say galaxies of things around that concept, all exquisitely tailored to the exact circumstance. And that's not even counting making puns or jokes out of the words, or saying them in play languages, foreign languages, or artificial languages.