Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Dear Teacher,

I read some article beginning "With that being said,...", is it same as " With that is be said,..?

Thanks,
Mona

Ann1977

Member Type
Academic
Dear Teacher,

I read some article beginning "With that being said,...", is it same as " With that is be said,..?

Thanks,
Mona

No, they're not the same. "With that is be said" has no meaning in English.

"With that being said" means "now that I have said all that" or "now that the preceding has been said by me."

Example:
"With that being said, we can now turn to the next development in our policy."
- This means, "Now that I have said all that I just said, now we can go to the next step."

It usually is used:

1) to close off one topic and start a new one, as in the Example

2) to contradict the first topic, like this:
"With that being said, there is still a reason to adopt Plan A."
This means that the speaker has just finished acknowledging the problems with Plan A, but now he would like to show the reasons in its favor.

I think it's a dumb expression and a poor transition. I think it should always be replaced with something more useful:

- Now that I have explained the first stage of this process, let me explain the second stage.
This is much better than, "With that being said, let me explain the second stage."

- Even though those are good reasons to avoid Plan A, there are still many reasons for adopting it.
This is much better than, "With that being said, there are still reasons to adopt Plan A."

Status
Not open for further replies.