Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Petemol is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Post Ran out of Food bank essay ideas!!

    Hi everyone. If you read the title you probably know that i need help with some ideas on a essay about food banks. Last week, my teacher told me to write a persuasive essay on why food food banks should be closed.( i personally don't agree) I managed to finish it, but when i reread it i realized that my i repeated some of the same facts. I tried to think of new ones, but my brain doesn't seem to work with me. Can someone please give me some reasons on why Food banks( places that give free food to needy people) should be closed? Thanks. PS: This is first time i posted on the forum:) So far my ideas are: people need to be self- sufficient and food banks are a waste of resources.

  2. #2
    Petemol is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ran out of Food bank essay ideas!!

    Here is what i wrote for my essay so far............Please reply

    Food Banks Must be Closed Down
    In Canada today, we have many food banks all over the country that provide food for many families. Those food banks have made many people dependant on the food they provide and also made them forget how to be self-sufficient. Also, the resources it takes to keep the food bank in operation could be put to better uses. Even though having food banks has some pros, the cons heavily out weight them, so therefore food banks must be closed down and people must provide for themselves.
    Food banks are some times the main source of food for some people. Food banks are meant to be bandages for people in need, but some people are using it as if it was an everlastingly fix for them. Instead of encouraging the needy people on how to be successful later on, the food banks actually have the opposite effects on people. The food bank makes people dependent on the food it provides, and therefore it makes them non-self sufficient. This can be compared to drugs, drugs can seemly fix your emotional problems but sooner or later you will get addicted and use drugs continually. What if a food bank closes down? What are the people who depend on the food bank going to do? There is an old saying that you either sink or swim so those who are dependent on the food bank will try to provide for them selves. Without food banks people will force themselves to be self-sufficient, and maybe become successful later on.
    The food banks take an immense amount of resources to maintain. Those resources used to maintaining the food banks could be put to better uses somewhere else. First of all, the people who die of starvation compared to people who die of is totally insignificant. (I am not saying more people dieing is not important) The money that both the people, and the government provided for the food bank can be switched for advancement in medial studies and technology. The land that foods banks take up are unimaginably big and therefore could be used for many other purposes like building schools or medical centers. To maximize the efficiency of our resources food banks should be closed down.
    Last edited by Petemol; 24-Oct-2009 at 22:15.

  3. #3
    Ann1977 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,131
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ran out of Food bank essay ideas!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Petemol View Post
    Hi everyone. If you read the title you probably know that i need help with some ideas on a essay about food banks. Last week, my teacher told me to write a persuasive essay on why food food banks should be closed.( i personally don't agree) I managed to finish it, but when i reread it i realized that my i repeated some of the same facts. I tried to think of new ones, but my brain doesn't seem to work with me. Can someone please give me some reasons on why Food banks( places that give free food to needy people) should be closed? Thanks. PS: This is first time i posted on the forum:) So far my ideas are: people need to be self- sufficient and food banks are a waste of resources.
    - It's bad for farmers (and other food manufacturers and producers) to give away their products for free. Food is the product they need to sell, but no one will pay money for something they can get for free.

    - Every time money is taken from the people (in the form of taxes) to give to someone else, some of the people who are just barely making it will sink. For some people, the difference between being self-sufficient -vs- standing in the food bank lines themselves is just a few dollars. If they are taxed enough, they will BECOME the poor person they are supporting.

    - It is unfair to tax working people on behalf of those who do not work. Single mothers who are collecting free food during their ample leisure time are doing so at the expense of married mothers, who have been driven out of their homes into the workplace just to keep up with their taxes.

    - The more lavish and available social services are, the easier it is for people to become irresponsible and shiftless. Every time an additional support is added under the feet of the poor, a new layer of "nearly poor" will find it more economical to collect benefits than to work.

    - Food banks are a particularly inappropriate way to help the poor. They are unstructured and disorganized, with few checks on the eligibility of the beneficiaries. The indiscriminate distribution of food -- even to those who don't really need it -- diminishes the amount that can be given to the truly poor.

    - Government support for the poor is best when it is part of an integrated system that balances the recipients' income and assets -- a proper amount for shelter, a proper amount for food, etc. A random and capricious sack of groceries is just as expensive for the government to supply as an well-planned budget item, but it is not a good thing from the point of view of the larger goals and needs of poor families. They need budget planning, social workers, etc -- not just random hits of food.

    - Probably most recipients of food bank handouts would prefer a voucher for the same dollar value which they could spend at the market on food of their choice.

  4. #4
    Petemol is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ran out of Food bank essay ideas!!

    Thanks for the ideas, i will try to assimilate the ideas you given me into my essay. Also one more question, will it be plagiarism if i rewrite the facts/reasons in to my own words? because if it is, i don't want to cheat. thx

  5. #5
    Ann1977 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,131
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ran out of Food bank essay ideas!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Petemol View Post
    Thanks for the ideas, i will try to assimilate the ideas you given me into my essay. Also one more question, will it be plagiarism if i rewrite the facts/reasons in to my own words? because if it is, i don't want to cheat. thx
    No, it's not plagiarism. I'm not a "source to be credited." I'm a conversation you had with other people.

    However, be aware that the posts here are on the internet. For example, I pasted one of my sentences into my Google search bar, and this is what Google found:
    - The more lavish and available social services are, the easier it is for people to become irresponsible and shiftless. Every time an additional support is added under the feet of the poor, a new layer of "nearly poor" will find it more economical to

  6. #6
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    20,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ran out of Food bank essay ideas!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ann1977 View Post
    No, it's not plagiarism. I'm not a "source to be credited." I'm a conversation you had with other people.

    However, be aware that the posts here are on the internet. For example, I pasted one of my sentences into my Google search bar, and this is what Google found:
    - The more lavish and available social services are, the easier it is for people to become irresponsible and shiftless. Every time an additional support is added under the feet of the poor, a new layer of "nearly poor" will find it more economical to
    I disagree that it's not plagiarism. It seems you also have some doubts, otherwise what are you warning him about?
    It's a blurry line, but it's plagiarism if he copies any of your phrases as written, or gives the same list in different words (without attribution) from a source which, as you point out, has been published on the web.
    No doubt a large proportion of the replies given here become plagiarised.

  7. #7
    Ann1977 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,131
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ran out of Food bank essay ideas!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I disagree that it's not plagiarism. It seems you also have some doubts, otherwise what are you warning him about?
    It's a blurry line, but it's plagiarism if he copies any of your phrases as written, or gives the same list in different words (without attribution) from a source which, as you point out, has been published on the web.
    No doubt a large proportion of the replies given here become plagiarised.
    No, it's not plagiarism. I talk to people all the time. I talk to my own students, and to people who are students elsewhere, and to people who are not students. And all these people talk to me.

    Did I commit plagiarism to say I heard a little girl say, "The mailman! He BEEN come!"? If not (on the grounds that I ascribed the remark to "a little girl"), did I commit plagiarism when I said that an error I hate is "have went"? I didn't attribute that to anyone. Yet clearly someone said it just as much as a little girl said "He been come."

    You don't know anything -- not even your own name -- except from what other people have told you. One of the ways students garner ideas for their essays is to discuss it with their family and friends. If you use an idea you got from one of those discussions, do you credit "my big brother's girlfriend" or "My Auntie"?

    How do you credit everything you ever say? It all came from someone else -- all of it. Using ideas he got from a discussion with me is not plagiarism. In fact, I'm not sure it would be plagiarism if I wrote his essay for him and he turned it in under his own name. I don't know what that would be, exactly.

    I wanted the student to be informed that his posting and mine were now on the internet. I don't know what use he might or might not have for that information, but he should have it if the topic worries him.

  8. #8
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    20,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ran out of Food bank essay ideas!!

    Here's as good a definition as any:

    Swinburne University of Technologyís definition of plagiarism

    Plagiarism is the action or practice of taking and submitting or presenting the thoughts, writings or other work of someone else as though it is your own work. Plagiarism includes any of the following, without full and appropriate acknowledgment to the original source(s):
    (a) the use of the whole or part of a computer program written by another person;
    (b) the use, in essays or other assessable work, of the whole or part of a written work from any source including but not limited to a book, journal, newspaper article, set of lecture notes, current or past studentís work, any other personís work, a website or database;
    (c) the paraphrasing of anotherís work;
    (d) the use of musical composition, audio, visual, graphic and photographic models,
    (e) the use of realia, that is objects, artefacts, costumes, models and the like.
    Plagiarism also includes the preparation or production and submission or presentation of assignments or other work in conjunction with another person or other people when that work should be your own independent work. This remains plagiarism whether or not it is with the knowledge or consent of the other person or people. It should be noted that Swinburne encourages its students to talk to staff, fellow students and other people who may be able to contribute to a studentís academic work but that where independent assignment is required, submitted or presented work must be the studentís own.
    Enabling plagiarism contributes to plagiarism and therefore will be treated as a form of plagiarism by the University. Enabling plagiarism means allowing or otherwise assisting another student to copy or otherwise plagiarise work by, for example, allowing access to a draft or completed assignment or other work.

  9. #9
    Ann1977 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,131
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ran out of Food bank essay ideas!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Here's as good a definition as any:

    Swinburne University of Technologyís definition of plagiarism

    Plagiarism is the action or practice of taking and submitting or presenting the thoughts, writings or other work of someone else as though it is your own work. Plagiarism includes any of the following, without full and appropriate acknowledgment to the original source(s):
    (a) the use of the whole or part of a computer program written by another person;
    (b) the use, in essays or other assessable work, of the whole or part of a written work from any source including but not limited to a book, journal, newspaper article, set of lecture notes, current or past studentís work, any other personís work, a website or database;
    (c) the paraphrasing of anotherís work;
    (d) the use of musical composition, audio, visual, graphic and photographic models,
    (e) the use of realia, that is objects, artefacts, costumes, models and the like.
    Plagiarism also includes the preparation or production and submission or presentation of assignments or other work in conjunction with another person or other people when that work should be your own independent work. This remains plagiarism whether or not it is with the knowledge or consent of the other person or people. It should be noted that Swinburne encourages its students to talk to staff, fellow students and other people who may be able to contribute to a studentís academic work but that where independent assignment is required, submitted or presented work must be the studentís own.
    Enabling plagiarism contributes to plagiarism and therefore will be treated as a form of plagiarism by the University. Enabling plagiarism means allowing or otherwise assisting another student to copy or otherwise plagiarise work by, for example, allowing access to a draft or completed assignment or other work.
    That is more of a "University(1) Policy(2) Regarding(3) Academic(4) Dishonesty(5)" statement(6) than a definition(7) of plagiarism(8).

    Citations for the words of others used in creating this sentence:

    (1) Miss Smathers, 2nd grade teacher
    (2) White, E.B. Charlotte's Web, p. 12
    (3) Ibid., p. 43
    (4) Mr. Neuman, 6th grade teacher
    (5) Smathers, op. cit.
    (6) Dr. Acula, MD, pediatrician
    (7) Ms. Walters, 1st grade teacher
    (8) Mr. Bronski, 6th grade teacher
    NOTE: All the words of others used to create this sentence not otherwise attributed are the words of "Mom" and "Dad"

    The overall thought I attribute to a desultory conversation in the Faculty Lounge upon the publication of a new student handbook. At that time I said, "This is not exactly what I would call a 'definition,'" and Professor Gerald Cummings said, "I know. It's more like they want to include all kinds of disapproved behavior."

  10. #10
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    20,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ran out of Food bank essay ideas!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ann1977 View Post
    That is more of a "University(1) Policy(2) Regarding(3) Academic(4) Dishonesty(5)" statement(6) than a definition(7) of plagiarism(8).

    No, that is their definition:
    The full policy is here:
    Plagiarism > Swinburne Plagiarism Policy
    You generally don't have to reference individual words, especially if you're using them in an original sentence. The boundaries between what is and what isn't plagiarism are not always clear.

    If I were to write in another thread:

    'That is more of a "University(1) Policy(2) Regarding(3) Academic(4) Dishonesty(5)" statement(6) than a definition(7) of plagiarism(8).

    Citations for the words of others used in creating this sentence:

    (1) Miss Smathers, 2nd grade teacher
    (2) White, E.B. Charlotte's Web, p. 12
    (3) Ibid., p. 43
    (4) Mr. Neuman, 6th grade teacher
    (5) Smathers, op. cit.
    (6) Dr. Acula, MD, pediatrician
    (7) Ms. Walters, 1st grade teacher
    (8) Mr. Bronski, 6th grade teacher
    NOTE: All the words of others used to create this sentence not otherwise attributed are the words of "Mom" and "Dad" '

    and swapped a few names around, then you could be justifiably aggrieved that I had plagiarised your work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is this essay off-topic?
    By enydia in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-Jun-2009, 10:46
  2. bank and economy
    By cat's_eyes in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-Mar-2009, 19:12
  3. Foods?
    By renard silvia in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-Mar-2008, 12:40
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-Dec-2005, 07:09
  5. my essay tutorial
    By Dmitrij in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 16-Sep-2005, 04:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •