Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    am-ta is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Second language Aquisition and Language socialization studies

    Hello, I would really appreciate if sb give a clear paraphrase of the following paragraphs, because I do not understand them at all, especiallaly the highlited parts. answer ASAP plz.
    Regards
    1- Watson-Gegeo examined the complex institutional factors at the national level that shape class materials, teacher practicees, and parental schoolling experinces.
    These macro-level factors fold back into children's LS (Language socialization) in family contexts, because parents recount their own negative scholling experinces, and doubt about the value of schoolling to their children in culturally marked "shaping the mind" sessions central to Kwara'ae children's cognitive and social development.

    2- Watson-Gegeo examined how institutional factors constrain Solmon Islands teachers' use of cultural teaching strategies in 4 rural classes where the teacher is teaching English through English or Solmon Islands pijin. the focus of the article is on teacher practices but the analysis has language-learning implications in the lessons performed, such that many incorrect morphological, lexical and semantic choices are modeled or directly taught by the teaches, leaving ss confused.
    In a fifth contrastive class, the teacher teaches English to an attentive class through the ss' first language, using a culturally derived padagogy. In doning so , he successfuly builds on their culturally shaped cognitive expectations and skills.
    does the 2nd paragraph mean that 2nd languge teachers should change their padagogical practices?? i.e., use a culturally derive padagogy?and why?

    3- In a year-long ethnographic study of a 5 year old Moroccan girl learning Italian in a nursery school, Pallotti examines features of the child's intellanguage development via lexical items and unanalyzed formulae, affect marking suffixes, and "sentence marking tactics".
    Pallotti's excellent analysis shows concern that SLA research has limited the term context to a narrow, neoclassical meaning, primarily verbalization patterned by strategies of individual speakers within the context of conversation.
    Pallotti recognize that the nursery school context of competetion for the speaking (floor???) shapes conversational strrategies, but other context influential in language learning also need to be examined.
    what does this paragraph says as a whole???

    4- SIEGAL SOCUSES ON THE ROLE OF Language learner subjectivity in the acquisition of sociolinguistic competence by a European woman learning Japanese in Japan.
    in imperfectly manipulating her interlanguage, including modality, honorofics, and topic control- to create a voice for herself in Japanese , the student also create examples of inappropriate language use.
    It seems that cognitively she may not have worked out which expectations take precedence, and this problem in turn affects the input to which she is exposed.
    what does this paragraph says as a whole???

    5- what are paradigmatic substitutions????
    6- what is the meaning of " L1 program promotes form dependent on rhetorical purpose"?

    You would really help me if u answer me.
    thanks in advance




  2. #2
    am-ta is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs down Re: Second language Aquisition and Language socialization studies

    Quote Originally Posted by am-ta View Post
    Hello, I would really appreciate if sb give a clear paraphrase of the following paragraphs, because I do not understand them at all, especiallaly the highlited parts. answer ASAP plz.
    Regards
    1- Watson-Gegeo examined the complex institutional factors at the national level that shape class materials, teacher practicees, and parental schoolling experinces.
    These macro-level factors fold back into children's LS (Language socialization) in family contexts, because parents recount their own negative scholling experinces, and doubt about the value of schoolling to their children in culturally marked "shaping the mind" sessions central to Kwara'ae children's cognitive and social development.

    2- Watson-Gegeo examined how institutional factors constrain Solmon Islands teachers' use of cultural teaching strategies in 4 rural classes where the teacher is teaching English through English or Solmon Islands pijin. the focus of the article is on teacher practices but the analysis has language-learning implications in the lessons performed, such that many incorrect morphological, lexical and semantic choices are modeled or directly taught by the teaches, leaving ss confused.
    In a fifth contrastive class, the teacher teaches English to an attentive class through the ss' first language, using a culturally derived padagogy. In doning so , he successfuly builds on their culturally shaped cognitive expectations and skills.
    does the 2nd paragraph mean that 2nd languge teachers should change their padagogical practices?? i.e., use a culturally derive padagogy?and why?

    3- In a year-long ethnographic study of a 5 year old Moroccan girl learning Italian in a nursery school, Pallotti examines features of the child's intellanguage development via lexical items and unanalyzed formulae, affect marking suffixes, and "sentence marking tactics".
    Pallotti's excellent analysis shows concern that SLA research has limited the term context to a narrow, neoclassical meaning, primarily verbalization patterned by strategies of individual speakers within the context of conversation.
    Pallotti recognize that the nursery school context of competetion for the speaking (floor???) shapes conversational strrategies, but other context influential in language learning also need to be examined.
    what does this paragraph says as a whole???

    4- SIEGAL SOCUSES ON THE ROLE OF Language learner subjectivity in the acquisition of sociolinguistic competence by a European woman learning Japanese in Japan.
    in imperfectly manipulating her interlanguage, including modality, honorofics, and topic control- to create a voice for herself in Japanese , the student also create examples of inappropriate language use.
    It seems that cognitively she may not have worked out which expectations take precedence, and this problem in turn affects the input to which she is exposed.
    what does this paragraph says as a whole???

    5- what are paradigmatic substitutions????
    6- what is the meaning of " L1 program promotes form dependent on rhetorical purpose"?

    You would really help me if u answer me.
    thanks in advance



    Hello, nobody answered my thread??? plzzzz

  3. #3
    am-ta is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs down Re: Second language Aquisition and Language socialization studies

    excuse me you wont answer my thread. let me know

  4. #4
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,591
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Second language Aquisition and Language socialization studies

    Quote Originally Posted by am-ta View Post
    excuse me you wont answer my thread. let me know
    I doubt anyone would be able to explain all this to you. It's rather specialised. Even native speakers have trouble with social sciences language like this. It's terrible English. I'll give you a broad overview.

    If you do not understand "such that many incorrect morphological, lexical and semantic choices" then you probably shouldn't be attempting a subject of this complexity.

    Otherwise, you need to get a book on SLA that is simpler to understand and written in good English.

  5. #5
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,591
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Second language Aquisition and Language socialization studies

    Quote Originally Posted by am-ta View Post
    These macro-level factors fold back into children's LS (Language socialization) in family contexts, because parents recount their own negative scholling experinces, and doubt about the value of schoolling to their children in culturally marked "shaping the mind" sessions central to Kwara'ae children's cognitive and social development.

    These macro-level factors affect children'sLanguage socialization in family contexts, because parents doubt the value of schooling.



    2- Watson-Gegeo examined how institutional factors constrain Solmon Islands teachers' use of cultural teaching strategies in 4 rural classes where the teacher is teaching English through English or Solmon Islands pijin. the focus of the article is on teacher practices but the analysis has language-learning implications in the lessons performed, such that many incorrect morphological, lexical and semantic choices are modeled or directly taught by the teaches, leaving ss confused.

    Watson-Gegeo examined how teachers were forced to use culturally inappropriate techniques that confused students.


    In a fifth contrastive class, the teacher teaches English to an attentive class through the ss' first language, using a culturally derived padagogy. In doning so , he successfuly builds on their culturally shaped cognitive expectations and skills.

    In a fifth contrastive class, the teacher teaches English to an attentive class through the ss' first language, so the students are so confused.

    does the 2nd paragraph mean that 2nd languge teachers should change their padagogical practices?? i.e., use a culturally derive padagogy?and why?
    Yes, it seems to imply that.

    3- In a year-long ethnographic study of a 5 year old Moroccan girl learning Italian in a nursery school, Pallotti examines features of the child's intellanguage development via lexical items and unanalyzed formulae, affect marking suffixes, and "sentence marking tactics".

    You must understand interlanguage. It is the range of languages that students use that is neither L1, nor L2, but a a developing language

    I don't know the two specialised terms in the last sentence.

    Pallotti's excellent analysis shows concern that SLA research has limited the term context to a narrow, neoclassical meaning, primarily verbalization patterned by strategies of individual speakers within the context of conversation.
    ... primarily speaking in the same way as the people they are talking to.

    Pallotti recognize that the nursery school context of competetion for the speaking (floor???) shapes conversational strrategies, but other context influential in language learning also need to be examined.
    what does this paragraph says as a whole???

    Competing to be the one who is speaking influences people's speaking behaviour.


    4- SIEGAL SOCUSES ON THE ROLE OF Language learner subjectivity individual factors in the acquisition of sociolinguistic competence by a European woman learning Japanese in Japan.
    in imperfectly manipulating her interlanguage, including modality, honorofics, and topic control- to create a voice for herself in Japanese , the student also create examples of inappropriate language use.
    It seems that cognitively she may not have worked out which expectations take precedence, and this problem in turn affects the input to which she is exposed.
    what does this paragraph says as a whole???

    By using imperfect Japanese, she makes an identify for herself. But she hasn't learnt what is important to get right, and what is not.
    (You could compare the lame use of "u" for "you" by some people who think it makes them individual, but is actually inappropriate)

    5- what are paradigmatic substitutions????

    The substitution of one paradigm for another.
    6- what is the meaning of " L1 program promotes form dependent on rhetorical purpose"?

    The program encourages the use of a type of language that depends on the purpose for which the language is used.

    R.

  6. #6
    am-ta is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs down Re: Second language Aquisition and Language socialization studies

    Thanks a lot, as the last Q.
    what is meant by:
    learner subjectivity
    modality,
    and topic control

    in the following pargraph?

    SIEGAL SOCUSES ON THE ROLE OF Language learner subjectivity individual factors in the acquisition of sociolinguistic competence by a European woman learning Japanese in Japan.
    in imperfectly manipulating her interlanguage, including modality, honorofics, and topic control
    R.

  7. #7
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,591
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Second language Aquisition and Language socialization studies

    Quote Originally Posted by am-ta View Post
    Thanks a lot, as the last Q.
    what is meant by:
    learner subjectivity - individual factors; subjective factors of the learner
    modality, - not sure.
    and topic control - taking or given up control of the topic of conversation.

    in the following pargraph?

    SIEGAL SOCUSES ON THE ROLE OF Language learner subjectivity individual factors in the acquisition of sociolinguistic competence by a European woman learning Japanese in Japan.
    in imperfectly manipulating her interlanguage, including modality, honorofics, and topic control
    R.
    R.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •