• Post Thanks / Like

give me the disadvantages of language learning thru reading novels & watching movies

Please I need your opinions, sources, and results of any research regarding this topic. Thank you

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: give me the disadvantages of language learning thru reading novels & watching mov

Quote Originally Posted by jayza View Post
    Please I need your opinions, sources, and results of any research regarding this topic. Thank you
    with reading Novels:
    -not everybody has the patience to read bulky books.
    -the topic of the book might not of interest to the reader thus he will not be able to concentrate.
    -from every new word whose meaning you are not aware of, you will have to refer to a dictionary.
    -with books you can learn new words and expressions but are not able to learn their pronunciation.
    -mere reading of a book will not help, the words and phrases will vanish from your mind if you use them in your speech and practice them.

with watching Movies
    -In movies the conversation could be very informal, so a viewer may learn informal expressions and slangs that good formal speech.
    -The conversation is at a faster pace, so it becomes tough for a non native speaker to understand the accent. He will have to pause and replay a scene many times to understand what exact was said.
    -mere watching a movie will not help, the words and phrases will vanish from your mind if you use them in your speech and practice them.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: give me the disadvantages of language learning thru reading novels & watching mov

Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    with reading Novels:

-mere reading of a book will not help, the words and phrases will vanish from your mind if you use them in your speech and practice them.
    I guess you meant "mere reading of a book will not help, the words and phrases will vanish from your mind if you DO NOT use them in your speech and practice them."

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BonaVista View Post
    I guess you meant "mere reading of a book will not help, the words and phrases will vanish from your mind if you DO NOT use them in your speech and practice them."
    Yes, I missed the "don't".. thanks

• Post Thanks / Like

Why do you ask for the disadvantages of book reading and movie watching? I think that there are lots of advantages to these two activities: language pattern learning, vocabulary, listening comprehension, getting used to different accents and so on. When watching a movie, it can help to have the English subtitles for the impaired. I do believe in reading books and watching movies to learn language!