- For Teachers
Please look at the student mistakes below and do the following:
She cans drive. (Elementary)
1. Identify what is wrong with the sentence
2. Write what probably caused the mistake
3. Identify what type of a mistake it is
4. Write how you would correct it.
- The student used a slip of the tongue
How much more can I add to this to make it sound full as my explanation as great as it is feels empty. (Note: These are all spoken mistakes. The level of the learner is written next to the sentence).
1. We do not conjugate modals for person.
2. The author of the sentence slept through morphology lessons.
3. see #2
4. She can
The student has an idea that we add s to the verb with he, she, and it.
but he must know the modals, must know that they are different from other verbs, and must know that we never add s or ed or any addition to them.
I agree with Sash, the mistake could be with the usage "modal verbs"
The student is unaware that "because of their preterite origins, modal verbs also lack the suffix -s in modern English".
normal verb he works
modal verb he can