Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

    • Join Date: Sep 2009
    • Posts: 19
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Do people say "I am John Smith"?

    We usually hear, "My name is John Smith.", or "This is John Smith."

    My question is, in what situations may people say "I am John Smith"?

    Thanks.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,081
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Do people say "I am John Smith"?

    Quote Originally Posted by BonaVista View Post
    We usually hear, "My name is John Smith.", or "This is John Smith."

    My question is, in what situations may people say "I am John Smith"?

    Thanks.
    In many situations.

  2. anupumh's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,110
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Do people say "I am John Smith"?

    Quote Originally Posted by BonaVista View Post
    We usually hear, "My name is John Smith.", or "This is John Smith."

    My question is, in what situations may people say "I am John Smith"?

    Thanks.
    Apart from many other instance, whenever introducing myself, I will use "I am", when introducing my friend I might use "This is". At time when I am talking over the phone, I might use "This is" to refer to myself...
    Last edited by anupumh; 30-Oct-2009 at 17:31.

  3. Soup's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,892
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Do people say "I am John Smith"?

    Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    Apart from many other instance, whenever introducing myself, I will use "I am", when intriducing my friend I might use "This is". At time when I am talking over the phone, I might use "This is" to refer to myself...
    That is a very good point and explanation. Over the phone, I wouldn't use "I am ... ." I'd use "This is ... ."

  4. anupumh's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,110
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Do people say "I am John Smith"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    That is a very good point and explanation. Over the phone, I wouldn't use "I am ... ." I'd use "This is ... ."
    Two questions with the same intent...

    Q. Who is this? (generally used when you cannot see the person,; over the phone)
    A. This is ...
    Who are you? (generally used when you can see the person, you know he is a human)
    A. I am ...

  5. Soup's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,892
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Do people say "I am John Smith"?

    Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    Two questions with the same intent...

    Q. Who is this? (generally used when you cannot see the person,; over the phone)
    A. This is ...
    Who are you? (generally used when you can see the person, you know he is a human)
    A. I am ...
    Interesting. Using the same example above, on a video-phone where you can see the person, would you use "This is" or "I am"?

  6. anupumh's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,110
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Do people say "I am John Smith"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    Interesting. Using the same example above, on a video-phone where you can see the person, would you use "This is" or "I am"?
    hahaha... if I can see the person, yes I would ask, "who are you?" instead of "who is this?" and will expect the person to reply "I am..."
    Though I doubt there is any rule regarding this....

  7. Soup's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,892
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Do people say "I am John Smith"?

    Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    hahaha... if I can see the person, yes I would ask, "who are you?" instead of "who is this?" and will expect the person to reply "I am..."
    Though I doubt there is any rule regarding this....
    Oh, I believe there is a rule--our example is proving that somewhat.

    This is This is is deictic: it represents the person speaking on the other end--at a distance, which seems to be used when you cannot see the person you are talking to, whereas I am is non-deictic: used when you can see the person, or rather, and to be more precise, when you are physically present--up close and center.

    What say you?

  8. anupumh's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,110
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: Do people say "I am John Smith"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    Oh, I believe there is a rule--our example is proving that somewhat.

    This is This is is deictic: it represents the person speaking on the other end--at a distance, which seems to be used when you cannot see the person you are talking to, whereas I am is non-deictic: used when you can see the person, or rather, and to be more precise, when you are physically present--up close and center.

    What say you?
    Oh really, we are unearthing a rule...?
    Well sorry Soup, but I am incapable to comment on that...
    I have never heard that word.. "Deictic"
    Unlike you, I am a noob, a non native speaker, a student/learner..
    Last edited by anupumh; 30-Oct-2009 at 18:24.

  9. anupumh's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,110
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: Do people say "I am John Smith"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    Oh, I believe there is a rule--our example is proving that somewhat.

    This is This is is deictic: it represents the person speaking on the other end--at a distance, which seems to be used when you cannot see the person you are talking to, whereas I am is non-deictic: used when you can see the person, or rather, and to be more precise, when you are physically present--up close and center.

    What say you?
    I searched this word out "Deictic" on net..
    deictic - definition of deictic by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    But before I can comment on anything, I would need you to explain me all about it..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-Feb-2009, 01:59
  2. Travel / Traveling Overseas
    By eric2004 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 06-Jan-2004, 22:17
  3. Psychotheray paper Please correct
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17-Dec-2003, 22:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •