Thread: HELP PLEASE

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy HELP PLEASE

i think unlike chinese, english is way too arbitrary and flexible in terms of sentence expressions, right? one can use various syntax and phrases to convey the same idea and usually the way i phrase things is different from that the native speakers are accustommed to using even though sometimes they can have several choices to make a same meaning sentence, which is mainly the difficulty i have met in my process of improving english! do you have any advice on that?

for example:

this is what i wrote:

Today on my way to a shopping mall, i saw dozens of girls. Few of them are pretty, most are just 'plain janes' and the rest are simply ugly, which sparked me to think of such a question that how the average and ugly types of gals could build up relationships ( or could find their romantic partner ??) “btw, here i don’t know what the common way to phrase this part that a native speaker would use so i try to explain it in my own way, which is exactly part of my difficulties in improving english coz i dunno what the proper way to express it in words is.” and what their prospects of it would be, given that the love for beauty is just the nature of human beings.

This is how an english native speaker wrote:

Today, on my way to the shopping mall, I saw dozens of girls. Few of them are pretty, most are average" plain Janes", and the rest are homely. Since the tendency for humans is to look only for beauty, what might be the chances for the homelier females to develop relationships?

Does the way i express ideas sound weird? Through what kind of study methods will i be gradually able to phrase ideas like a native one or in proper english?

another example:

this is what i wrote and they seem to be all wrong.

1. i'm feeling to have been stuck there and find it difficult to be enhanced.

2. i've felt i'm being struck there and find it difficult to enhance.

3. i feel i've got stuck there and find it difficult to be enhanced.

this is how a native speaker wrote:

I feel that I'm stuck at a certain level, and I'm finding it difficult to improve beyond that.
    Last edited by dafunkygirl; 31-Oct-2009 at 12:05.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: HELP PLEASE

The more you speak English with native speakers the more you will begin to use the phrases they use. And you will notice that when you try to phrase a sentence that it will sound odd to you if you never hear people say it that way.

As for your examples of advice given by other people I would disagree with most of them.

Today on my way to a shopping mall, i saw dozens of girls. Few of them are pretty, most are just 'plain janes' and the rest are simply ugly, which sparked me to think of such a question that how the average and ugly types of gals could build up relationships ( or could find their romantic partner ??) “btw, here i don’t know what the common way to phrase this part that a native speaker would use so i try to explain it in my own way, which is exactly part of my difficulties in improving english coz i dunno what the proper way to express it in words is.” and what their prospects of it would be, given that the love for beauty is just the nature of human beings.

This is how an english native speaker wrote:

Today, on my way to the shopping mall, I saw dozens of girls. Few of them are pretty, most are average" plain Janes", and the rest are homely. Since the tendency for humans is to look only for beauty, what might be the chances for the homelier females to develop relationships?

I think it was changed too much. I would say this is fine
    Today on my way to a shopping mall, i saw dozens of girls. Few of them were pretty, most were just 'plain janes' and the rest were simply ugly, which sparked me to thinking "how do the average and ugly types of gals build up relationships ( or find romantic partners ??)"
    “btw, here i don’t know the way to phrase this part like a native speaker so i try to explain it in my own way, which is part of my difficulty in improving my english coz i dunno what the proper way is to express myself in words.” and what their prospects would be, given that the love of beauty is just the nature of human beings.

another example:

this is what i wrote and they seem to be all wrong.

1. i'm feeling to have been stuck there and find it difficult to be enhanced.

2. i've felt i'm being struck there and find it difficult to enhance.

3. i feel i've got stuck there and find it difficult to be enhanced.

4. I feel I've got stuck there and find it difficult to advance.

this is how a native speaker wrote:

This is needlessly far removed from your orginal sentiment

I feel that I'm stuck at a certain level, and I'm finding it difficult to improve beyond that.

Remember to ask that people correct your English as Informal English or spoken English as that is clearly what you want.

It is unnecessary to assume that people learning English want to learn correct formal English rather than the English that they hear native speakers using.

Last edited by timjphillips; 24-Nov-2009 at 23:41.