1. slivingstone

Question TESOL v. CELTA: for my specific needs?

Hi. I am seriously considering getting certified to teach English; however, I am still baffled by the CELTA vs. TESOL certification distinctions. I've concluded that my decision should be based on what sort of lifestyle I'm hoping to create for myself, but I could use some advice from those of you out there in the field! As I live near San Francisco, there are many training facilities from which to choose, including one that offers CELTA - just don't know how to pick the right one...

Note: I don't have any interest in the "gypsy lifestyle" - I'm hoping for something permanent, if possible. Also, I'm only interested in teaching adults, not children.

Ideal life #1: relocating from the States to Great Britain. It would seem that a CELTA certification might help make this happen, but how likely is it that I'd find work - even administrative work - in a country that is already English-speaking?

Ideal life #2: stay Stateside (would consider pretty much anywhere), and perhaps work in a college environment. A corporate setting, language schools or non-profits would all be ok too.

Ideal life #3: a permanent staffing position somewhere else in the world (again, would consider most anywhere, as long as I am not required to pay for a bulletproof vest out of my own pocket). I have a pet that I must be able to take with me, so the quarantine requirements cannot be too strict.

Have I limited myself too severely? A permanent position, pets allowed? Other things are flexible, like medical benefits (as long as I can afford them with my salary), housing not being provided (again, salary must be able to stretch to rent), etc.

If all these things are possible, then does this suggest to any of you who are experienced which certification would be most likely to result in my ideal (or nearly ideal) future? (Job placement services are a primary consideration for my choice of school, obviously.)

Thanks for any advice you can give!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: TESOL v. CELTA: for my specific needs?

Quote Originally Posted by slivingstone View Post
    Hi. I am seriously considering getting certified to teach English; however, I am still baffled by the CELTA vs. TESOL certification distinctions. I've concluded that my decision should be based on what sort of lifestyle I'm hoping to create for myself, but I could use some advice from those of you out there in the field! As I live near San Francisco, there are many training facilities from which to choose, including one that offers CELTA - just don't know how to pick the right one...

Note: I don't have any interest in the "gypsy lifestyle" - I'm hoping for something permanent, if possible. Also, I'm only interested in teaching adults, not children.

Ideal life #1: relocating from the States to Great Britain. It would seem that a CELTA certification might help make this happen, but how likely is it that I'd find work - even administrative work - in a country that is already English-speaking?

Ideal life #2: stay Stateside (would consider pretty much anywhere), and perhaps work in a college environment. A corporate setting, language schools or non-profits would all be ok too.

Ideal life #3: a permanent staffing position somewhere else in the world (again, would consider most anywhere, as long as I am not required to pay for a bulletproof vest out of my own pocket). I have a pet that I must be able to take with me, so the quarantine requirements cannot be too strict.

Have I limited myself too severely? A permanent position, pets allowed? Other things are flexible, like medical benefits (as long as I can afford them with my salary), housing not being provided (again, salary must be able to stretch to rent), etc.

If all these things are possible, then does this suggest to any of you who are experienced which certification would be most likely to result in my ideal (or nearly ideal) future? (Job placement services are a primary consideration for my choice of school, obviously.)

Thanks for any advice you can give!
    I don't know much about Britain but in Poland CELTA is mainly for native speakers and they can make a nice living here teaching English. Permanent teaching positions are available only for those Poles who hold BA or MA in teaching. I wouldn't plan on getting far with CELTA alone in the UK or the USA but you can always teach in a non-English speaking country.