Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    oumfirdaous is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy classroom management . help!

TO every experienced teacher , help!
    I have a serious problems controling my class at the beginning before I start the lesson. As soon as they get into the classroom , they start talking and it becomes really hard to attract their attention . Another thing is that when I set them on task , very few students concentrate and the rest of the class gets noisy . What do you advise me to do? PLEASE HELP!

xpert is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: classroom management . help!

I hope this could help you. Click here, please

This link is also useful.

Wish you all the best, Sir

TheParser is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

(Not a teacher) Here is what many American teachers do. They write something on the chalk/white board (a quotation, a math problem, a grammar question, etc,). Each day that the little darlings enter the room, they immediately copy the quotation in their notebooks or (better still) they use the first five minutes of the period to work on the math or grammar or history question. Once students get used to this system, they will file into your classsroom and start working on the "dispatch problem" for the day. You can then use that quiet time to take roll. P. S. Some teachers ensure an orderly end to each period by concluding it with a short quiz.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that the most important thing for you to do is to act powerful. Do not allow disrespect. Tell students that they will have to leave the classroom and will get a bad grade if they do not cooperate.

Post Thanks / Like

Integration is always the key ...

To generate respect you must integrate ... I assume you mean an English class?

So many teachers (said with respect and not directly to you) try to maintain a status high above their students, they always know better, know what the students need, see no reason to integrate and remain remote from the people they are teaching; In fact I hated going to school PTA meeting when my kids were in school, because of this "teacher characteristic" which teachers so often apply to parents as well.

In my classes I tend to integrate with the students right from the start. If they wish to talk they can and I join in with them. I turn the language by asking questions in English about what they are talking about. By integrating you move from just a teacher into someone that might help them and might understand them. BUT! This must be done at the start of a class because if not, then integrating and building respect can be hard!

As I apply this process, I build in the training I wish to give and over a very short period of time, the students look upon the teacher (and the teacher upon the students) in a way that makes training both effective and fun.

Integration, building respect and becoming one of the group is as important as the teaching of the skill itself, but there is a warning! In doing this you must also maintain an assertive position and if you can't do that and become integrated, then maybe this is not for you.

So ... Integrate with your children and get to know them. Build the training you must give into subjects that they are interested in, or, at least (because books are not always so interesting) give "what you must teach" using "examples of what they are interested in" (another reason for integration). Many times I have re-written tasks from a book and presented these tasks in a context interesting to the students.

If an English class, maybe allow "quiet" talk between students as long as it is in English so you can keep an ear on what they are saying and correct them when they make a mistake.

Just my opinion ... I hope it helps generate some ideas ...

Rob.
    www.onlineenglish.eu
    TOEIC test preparation for students and schools.
    www.englishplacement.com
    Class placement testing platform for schools.
    www.onlinebusinessenglish.eu
    Business English platform for students and schools.
    www.hamburg-english.eu
    Business English classes and professional seminars.

Gamma Ray is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Post Thanks / Like

Read articles by Alfie Kohn.

ratóncolorao is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

It is always hard to face a class of twenty or more children. Most of them don't go to class to learn, they go to school because their parents want them to be there. So, how to attract them to your side? One golden rule is to keep calm, never shout, treat them with respect and as adults. Most of the time it works. And for those few ones who don' t care much about anything, to speak to them apart sometimes goes. I also assume that parents should be responsible for their children behaviour, therefore they have to be involved in their children proccess of education. Count on them! Education is more than learning maths, science,...., parents are the ones who really educate children, at school they learn how to deal with maths, language, etc.

Gamma Ray is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratóncolorao View Post
    treat them with respect and as adults.
    That's totally right, Alfie Kohn says the same ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

Horrible one this. I guess most teachers have been there at some stage. There a variety of options open to you. Here's one idea that can really work: The silent approach: don't attempt to do anything until they have settled down. Stand there - silently. It's amazing how effective this can be. Much more effective than shouting approach as often as not.

Solinet is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teacherdominic View Post
    Horrible one this. I guess most teachers have been there at some stage. There a variety of options open to you. Here's one idea that can really work: The silent approach: don't attempt to do anything until they have settled down. Stand there - silently. It's amazing how effective this can be. Much more effective than shouting approach as often as not.

Shouting approach???
    Though having an experience of more than a couple of decades, it's the first time I hear about this approach

Thank you for the funny term

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast