• Post Thanks / Like

Can I do an MA WITHOUT having a degree?

Unfortunately I do not have a degree, however I do have a "Level 4 Certificate In Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages" - awarded by Trinity College London in July 2008. This is my highest relevant qualification but I have a great deal of casual teaching experience which I have gained in Spain/France and the Middle East, as well as valuable teaching experience whilst studing for my Trinity College qualification.

Prior to my TESOL studies, I spent 4 years studying Islamic & Middle Eastern Studies at university on a part-time basis. This lead to a Diploma of Higher Education which I was awared in July 2007.

A few years ago I was studying on a full-time foreign languages degree course at another university but, due to unfortunate personal circumstances, I had to leave that course after completing only 2 years. Could this previous study count towards my experience/application criteria? (I have documentation from the university in question, confirming my dates of attendance and grades obtained during all exams taken).
    I would really like to be able to enrol on an MA course but fear that my lack of a complete degree will count against me. Does anybody have similar experiences or suggestions?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can I do an MA WITHOUT having a degree?

I wouldn't think you could. Except perhaps in the US, where it's not regulated, and you can just find a place with lower standards.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

You could try the Open University (Distance Learning Courses and Adult Education - The Open University). They do Masters courses that don't require a degree (I'm doing one, but have one ) - that is, the courses have pre-requisites that say 'first degree or equivalent'. So there's a certain amount of 'wiggle room', and with your background you should get in.

b

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    You could try the Open University (Distance Learning Courses and Adult Education - The Open University). They do Masters courses that don't require a degree (I'm doing one, but have one ) - that is, the courses have pre-requisites that say 'first degree or equivalent'. So there's a certain amount of 'wiggle room', and with your background you should get in.

b
    Yes, but is it a Master of Arts?
    In Australia, you can do all sorts of coursework Masters degrees if you have "life experience" or other qualifications less than a degree.
    But a MA is still a research degree, and you generally need a bachelors degree, a BA, in the same subject.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yes, but is it a Master of Arts?
    In Australia, you can do all sorts of coursework Masters degrees if you have "life experience" or other qualifications less than a degree.
    But a MA is still a research degree, and you generally need a bachelors degree, a BA, in the same subject.
    It could be. It's up to me whether I get another MA or choose to take an MEd this time around . Sounds like there's a different system here. There's yet another in some Scottish Universities, where you proceed straight to an MA after 4 years (with no BA on the way - not even, I guess, for people who drop out after 3 yrs).

b
    Last edited by BobK; 07-Nov-2009 at 13:04. Reason: Added last 2 sentences