Thread: The Thesis

Crombie Guest

Default The Thesis

Hello! I am writing an essay for entrance in to post-secondary. It has been a while since the last time I have written an essay so I need a bit of help.

the top is:
    In 500 to 750 words, describe the similarities and differences between the method by which images are formed on motion picture film and the way in which pictures are formed in a television set.

I am having GREAT difficulties figuring out the similarities between the two, however, with much research and deliberation i have gome up with this

"The method by which images are formed on motion picture film and in a television set is in no way simple. The advanced chemical and physical properties involved in turning on a television set, or taking a single picture (little lone 24 a second) is a long and sorted tale. However, lying in the depths of the physics of radio waves and the photochemical reactions involved in photons contacting film, one is able to find a few similarities and differences between the two. The main similarity is found in the creation of many images consecutively, utilizing the law of persistence of vision. The main difference is in the way each individual image is formed."

My question is both does it sound alright, and is the thesis in an acceptable place.

thanks

-Crombie

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Thesis

The first sentence uses 'method' in the singular, yet they use different methods, and also doesn't make much of a point- how complex are they? In the second sentence, you talk about physical and chemical, which, I presume, mixes the two methods- movie film is chemical, but is TV? 'Little lone'- this should be 'let alone'. Again, you end the sentence with something vague: 'a long and sorted tale'. I don't know what you mean by 'sorted' here. Also, you only give one simialrity and one difference, and the difference is just a restatement of the question, not an expansion on it, and you didn't distinguish the radio waves from the photons reacting with chemicals sufficiently to make the difference clear.

Crombie Guest

Thank you for your help tdol.

I have done a few alterations considering what was said, but i still wonder if i am writing from the correct standpoint.

The questions phrasings leads me to believe that they would like to know the technicalities behind the process, however, there is something in my mind that is saying i should be writing it from a different stand point (I am not sure what other stand point I could take it from considering the question).

The revidion:
    "The methods by which images are formed on motion picture film and in a television set is in no way simple; lying in the depths of the physics of radio waves in a television set, and the photochemical reactions involved in photons contacting film, one is able to find a few similarities and differences between the two. The main similarity is found in the creation of many images consecutively, utilizing the law of persistence of vision. The main difference is in the way each individual image is formed."

Note: i am still working on finding more similarities.

Thanks

-Crombie

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure- the question suggests that they arelookig at the technicalities of forming images, not critical theory of the differences. Therefore, I would clearly separate the two in terms of manufacture of image, chemcial vesus electronic (BTW- I'm a total amateur in this suject), and then look for similarites, like the flow of images you mentioned. Does TV sample images and send them in discrete units, which we link up into coninutuous flow? If so, then these discrete packets of information would be similar to the frames of a film.

What about colour? Film does it by reation, but how does TV process colour? Also, they both start with capturing te image using a camera.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

An idea- start with the first point, where there is a simialrity- the use of a camera to capture image, then track it through the process as they diverge increaingly, through processing elctronically or chemicaly, then in transmission...